Esteemed Contributor

Re: I think British TV is superior to ours

@biancardi wrote:

Doctor Who

There are alot of ones that no longer air - like Whitechapel and MI5, which I loved!!
BBC news is also top notch as well

I watched "The early  Doctors" on PBS in the B&W series. I loved the shows. I could not get into some of the later "Doctors".

Honored Contributor

I love Doc Martin, Call the midwife, and amost everything on Masterpiece Theatre  !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

@Adelina wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Not my cup of tea, not a pun. I have trouble keeping up with their words. Too much accent I guess. Have started to watch some movies I thought I would like, but when I started watching and heard words i couldn't understand, I quit watching. It is probably is not a problem for most, but??

That is a shame. You are missing out, IMHO. I find that the more you watch, the more you stop noticing "accents". 

O/T: There are also some great Swedish and Danish series, but many are not available in the US because apparently Americans generally do not like having to read sub-titles. :smileymad

--------------------------------

I get a station on my cable that is multi-country!  News in English, but also in Chinese, Gaelic, etc., etc.  Every night there is a show/series  based on story from a foreign country.  I have seen shows that speak Swedish, Danish, French, Italian, German languages. Very interesting and some nights are one whole story and others are episodes of a series.  There are English subtitles, but I speak and

understand several of the languages.  The station is  MHz Worldview Channel.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

Doctor Who

There are alot of ones that no longer air - like Whitechapel and MI5, which I loved!!
BBC news is also top notch as well

I watched "The early  Doctors" on PBS in the B&W series. I loved the shows. I could not get into some of the later "Doctors".

I got into Dr Who in college, and they were running the 4th doctor series (they always ran about 8 years behind) and I fell in love with it. We used to gather around the rat cellar and watch it on PBS from 3 to 4 pm Smiley Happy

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love the Britcoms!  My favourite is As Time Goes By with Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer.  It's a little more subtle than the others, and I can watch episodes over and over without it getting stale.  I also love Keeping Up Appearances, Vicar of Dibley, and Are You Being Served?

Red Dwarf  was good too in a strange way.  They took it off TV just about the time I was getting into it.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Trusted Contributor

Doc Martin & Downton Abbey
Respected Contributor

Our best is just as good as their best...the shows on PBS.  And their worst is just as bad as ours but we don't see it here. They do have bad TV, too, just like we do.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't watch too much TV these days, as I am juggling different work responsibilities.  But from the "way back" or even "way way back" machine, I fondly remember Britcoms and series that go back to my youth.

greatest of British satiric shows to me:  "Monty Python's Flying Circus."

"Upstairs, Downstairs" is probably my favorite costume-drama series ever. 

A close second is "The Pallisers," which sent me to the original stories as told in Anthony Trollope's Victorian novels. I've read all of Trollope and periodically reread him. It's like time travel, reading Trollope.

ETA:  "Brideshead Revisited," so beautifully filmed and scripted and acted.

Esteemed Contributor

Death in Paradise

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I love pbs, the British shows, downton abbey, number one, call of the midwife,loved doc martin,but not on any longer, trying to like podalk, but not much liking it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.