Honored Contributor

I'm Still Stunned.... Warning.... Long explanation.

I don't think I've ever come here to talk about something that has happened to me, but this was just too weird.....  A little background.  DH and I enjoy a local Breakfast place that has had some problems with keeping their experienced personnel and because of this the restaurant has gone downhill most of the summer..  And we've been really patient all the way around....  still coming every week or so and it's getting better.

I am Diabetic and don't eat sugar or processed white flour.  I rarely eat eggs (although I love them) because of high fat, etc. in order to try and keep my Cholesterol numbers down.  

A month or two ago I ordered an egg white omelette from a relatively new waiter. It took forever to come (as did everything that morning) and came with real eggs with nothing in the omelette!  Potatoes instead of fruit and other problems.  This waiter also brought me a coffee cup that he said he had to rinse out in order to give me because the kitchen didn't have anymore clean coffee cups.

I nicely complained the order was wrong and that I ordered an egg white omelette and he said that they didn't have egg whites that day (didn't mention this when I ordered).  I said that I didn't want the real eggs, couldn't eat them (didn't tell him why), and I'd have to think of something else to order.... also, I wanted a disposable coffee cup because unless the cup was sanitized by a dishwasher I wasn't using the cup he brought me!  

This was a disaster and his attitude was "Just eat it...."  He was really P.O.'d with me and DH that day and we finally, after an hour and a half....walked out!!  We've gotten to know the management there and told him that this waiter needs to stop hand rinsing coffee mugs for customers From start to finish we were seated and sitting there for an hour and a half without getting food or coffee.

We were upset however I did not want anyone to lose their job.... everyone has bad days.

Zoom to today:  Today I had blood work done and fasted for a total of 14 hours and as a treat, we decided to go to this restaurant for breakfast and I broke with my strict diet and ordered eggs!  We got the same waiter....  no problem from us... he was sure to have improved immensely in the time between then and now.  He took our order, brought coffee, cream and water in a timely manner... all was good, I thought.  The orders came quickly and he placed mine down and DH's down and said in a condescending way, quickly under his breath "I thought you couldn't eat eggs...." and left before either of us could answer him.   I don't anger quickly, I honestly don't....  but I got angrier and angrier as I sat there.  How dare this guy!  He didn't return for a while either and by the time he came back I was livid at his attitude with me.   What the h*ll?  

When he did come back I said I wanted to tell him something.  I told him that his comment and attitude was unnecessary as none of this was any of his business whatsoever.  I explained to him that the eggs were a treat.  I'm not allergic to them, I just can't have them.  I also told him that his business was to take orders accurately and deliver them timely, NOT to monitor what the customers eat .  And certainly not confront a customer over their choice.  

He actually started arguing with me about this ridiculous situation!  His attitude towards me was condescending, like he was putting me (a woman) in my place because I was daring to argue with him (a man)...and I'm not mistaken about this.  I decided to get loud, and that's pretty much what concluded this... but not without him continuing to needle me ~!  He wouldn't be quiet about it, it was surreal!  DH told him several times it wasn't any of his business.  We were in a corner of the main dining room and I'm sure the other diners were now looking (my intention).... but it was my 6'3" ex football husband (who doesn't mince words, LOL).... who said gruffly...  "You're DONE.... GO AWAY~!"  

Can you believe this?  I'm still stunned......

I apologize at the length of this.....  I have to leave right now, but if you're kind enough to respond, I'll see your entries tomorrowl  TIA  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Still Stunned.... Warning.... Long explanation.

Time  to find another place to eat.  PAST time.

And I hope you tipped him.  Servers make so little.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Q4u  Try not to let this upset you.  This guy was a jerk and has yet to learn that a server is a SERVICE worker, as defined by the US Department of Labor.  I'm surprised that the owner or manager didn't intervene.  I certainly would call and bring it up with whoever in in charge before this employee costs them too many customers.

In the meantime, calm down and know that you did nothing wrong.  I think DH showed remarkable restraint.  You both have every right to be angry.  The guy was out of line.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

OMG - there's got to be a more congenial place to have breakfast!! Woman LOL  Seriously, though- I would have talked to the owner after the inital time. Messing up your order and then being snide about it?  If not the initial time, then when the waiter started up with you again.

Trusted Contributor

I hope that the only tip he got was to mind his own business and do his job.  I have trouble speaking up but when my husband was alive he would have. 

Honored Contributor

Terrible treatment of a customer.  I don't think I would have even offered an explanation.  His job is to serve and not judge.

Respected Contributor

I would never sit in any restaurant " for an hour and a half  without food or coffee," as you describe. I would have left in less than 30 minutes! I would have called later to tell the owner or manager about the offending waiter, and never returned. Period. Had I gone back, as you did, and had yet another bad experience with that waiter, I would be upset, as you are. I hope you tell the owner or manager and never go back there. I'd have been out the door for good when they tried to give me an improperly cleaned coffee cup. Why keep subjecting yourself to such a place?!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u, I was a restaurant manager for many, many years. I would have fired him.

As some others have said - time to look for a new favorite place!

ETA: He doesn't sound too swift....what kind of an idiot would #1. rinse out a coffee cup to give to a customer to drink from, & #2. tell the customer???
He's obviously not cut out for this type of work, and HASN'T BEEN TRAINED PROPERLY.

That all falls squarely on the shoulders of management.

Definitely find a new place. Good luck!

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

WHy in heaven's name are you still patronizing this restaurant?

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry you were treated this way.  I think you handled it extremely well, better than I would have.  I simply don't get people sometimes.  You just don't know people and how easily they can snap. Try not to dwell on it.  Focus on the good in your life and honestly, I would find another restaurant to dine at.  Find a place that will appreciate your business and treat you and your husband with the respect that you deserve.  :-)