Trusted Contributor

I'm SO over automated "Customer Service!"

Twice today I needed an answer to a simple question by a human that the automaton robophones did not have a selection for. Press 2 for this, 3 for that, etc. - NO I need to speak with a representative! "That is not a valid selection," press 4 for this, 5 for that, etc. each time I went through the automated dance for 10 minutes until I spoke with a live person. Pressing zero didn't work, which is my usual trick.Then when I finally got through to a live person, they couldn't give me the answer! One person had the nerve to say after they didn't answer my question, "Is there anything else I can help you with?" I said "Apparently Not!" And hung up. I am SO over the supposed customer service we generally receive these days. You rarely speak with a live person, and if you do, they have the bare minimum of information or play the "privacy" card. Of course there are still pleasant exceptions, thank goodness, the Q being one of them for the most part, but when you have to spend 20 minutes on the phone to get through to a live person and - if you're lucky - the answer to a simple question, it's ridiculous. Yes companies have had to cut back their personnel, and automation is less expensive than paying salaries and benefits, but I for one yearn for the "good old days" when you dialed a number and an actual person not only answered, but they were helpful! Ok, I've vented, thanks!
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm SO over automated ""Customer Service!""

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} ITA completely! I've wasted so much time on the phone like this. My favorite one is when the computer doesn't recognize what you're saying, even after you say it very slowly!

Trusted Contributor

One time I got so fed up I mumbled into the receiver, "Give me a break," and the computer said "That is not an option, please try again."

Have you ever coughed and the computer responds like you said something?

What happened to the days when customer service was real service?

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you! But next time try this. Hit zero on your phone OR if there are voice prompts say I want to speak to a customer service representative. (No matter what message you are getting from their computer!). Not always but generally one of those 2 work for me that I get a humane being.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I usually just hit the zero key, but this doesn't always connect you to a live person, anymore. Sometimes it's the 5 key. They're on to us.Wink

Trusted Contributor

On 1/29/2015 Shorty2U said:

I agree with you! But next time try this. Hit zero on your phone OR if there are voice prompts say I want to speak to a customer service representative. (No matter what message you are getting from their computer!). Not always but generally one of those 2 work for me that I get a humane being.

I realize it was long, but I did say in the post that I had tried that - I always do that first as well, but I think they're on to us!
Trusted Contributor

The problem is that most people want premium service for cut-rate prices. Self-service options saves money -- without it, most companies could not afford to staff appropriately to handle the volume.

I will not bore people with details, but having worked in call center operations for a Forune 600 company as well as consulted with several Fortune 100 companies on this issue, I can assure you that these options save companies thousands of dollars a day -- every day.

Many people already complain about prices of goods and services and always want companies to do even more to reduce their prices. In the case of customer service, you cannot have your cake and eat it, too.

Super Contributor

There's a funny commercial for Ally banking where they show people walking into a business and trying to talk to a small appliance (I think it's a blender) for their automated customer service lol. I think everybody's sick & tired of the automated CS.

Super Contributor

I am really tired of the automated answering, too! Very frustrating at times.

Honored Contributor

I am too...just went thru that a couple times this week...there were NO options that fit my situation either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**