Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Getting My Yard Mowed Today

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

I don't know how big your yard is but mine is a little over a third of an acre and we have ours done every week for $35.00 each time.  

That's close to what my mom pays for about a quarter of an acre... I think $65 sounds like a bit much unless the yard is huge... What the traffic will bear, I guess...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I don't know how big your yard is but mine is a little over a third of an acre and we have ours done every week for $35.00 each time.  

@Anonymous032819

This is what we pay in Northern Virginia for the same size property. Our service comes once a week unless we tell them not to. In addition to mowing the front and back yards, they use the weed whacker in areas the mower can't reach and edge every other week. They bag the clippings and use the blower to clean the sidewalk and driveway. They bill us once a month. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have 1/4 acre corner lot and live in a NJ suburb.  My lawn service charges me $30 every two weeks.  They mow, edge and blow any grass clippings off the sidewalk and walkways.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Contributor

I was paying $40/mo and he would mow and edge our lawn a couple times a month sometimes more depending on the season.  After many years and never tipping him or remembering him during the holidays it occurred to me one day that I really would like to give him more money.  So now I pay him $60/mo for the same service but I still never tip or remember him during the holidays.  Man Indifferent  I guess I don't know how to do that sort of thing with someone not related and not a friend of the family although we think of him fondly.  Oh well.  

Valued Contributor

I have used the same lawn service for many years.  Mine is $45 a cut for a half acre of hilly lawn plus some trimming and blowing the driveway, sidewalk areas.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

That's a good price.  We tried to find a lawn service for my parents last year (1/4 acre, I think) and none of them were near that price. 

Honored Contributor

Most of the home owners in our neighborhood use a lawn cutting service.  There were several companies here cutting grass yesterday...I guess they are  essential workers in PA.

Last year my DH bought a small riding lawn mower.  It was a good investment because he mows the lawn more than once a week.

He mowed five times already this spring. 

Valued Contributor

I can't think of any reason lawn services can't work in the pandemic.  If it is anything like mine it is just one guy on the outside doing his thing.  No problem with social distancing or whatever.

Honored Contributor

this is week three for our service. it needs to be done every week, now through probably november. he gives us a great deal though because we were one of his very first customers. one acre for $45. that includes cutting grass, weed whacking areas around trees and beds, and blowing clippings and leaves off of the sidewalks and driveway.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

My brother mows his yard all the time.  Takes him 2 days.  He has one acre.  The way the house is designed (it sits in the exact center of acre)  So it seem like it takes forever to mow.  And he does't have a tractor mower.  Just a push power mower.