Respected Contributor

Re: I just ordered my AncestryDNA!

To me there is a vast difference between being careful and safe and being paranoid. 

Honored Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

To me there is a vast difference between being careful and safe and being paranoid. 

Anyone who needs guarantees should not pay for testing. If one is given absolute guarantees, I would doubt them.

There may, indeed, be labs that advertise as doing completely "guarded", "safe" confidential genetic testing, but the cost would be many times what the average person would be willing to spend, and I would still doubt the facility's complete privacy or invulnerability. Also, if one was doing it to possibly connect with unknown relatives, extra steps and time would be needed to then connect the data to genealogical sites.

What people don't understand is that for the most part, the information extracted, for the average person, isn't "worth" anything except to that person.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

"What people don't understand is that for the most part, the information extracted, for the average person, isn't "worth" anything except to that person."

@Moonchilde,

Nicely said.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

"What people don't understand is that for the most part, the information extracted, for the average person, isn't "worth" anything except to that person."

@Moonchilde,

Nicely said.

I DO understand the concerns some people have regarding insurance, and specific test results like BRCA, but the $99-199 testing doesn't go there. I was surprised at how little medical genetic information I received from 23andme, the company who supposedly provides the "most" 'medical' info. That wasn't why I was testing, but if it had been, it would have told me almost nothing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all