Honored Contributor

Re: I have never been scared of much in my life, always felt safe.

@SeaMaiden

I used to go out to midnight movies without a care in the world.  That was when I was just about 40, and hadn't yet become arthritic in any way.

Years (and years) passed and I think after I retired, it got harder to leave home.   Last year was the worst year ever for me.   (National news was horrid; and so were the decisions made by my local Association board.)  I decided to change my outlook this year and influence my own state of mind and not let what others did dictate how I felt.

If you can set your intention to be happy, soon whatever helps you feel that way will start to fall into place.  Just give it time. I don't think you need any medical interventions.  At least from my point of view.

I know it may sound a little airy-fairy, but intention has been proven to actually work.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I sincerely hope you don't live in a state of fear and stay in your

home. 

The news is focused on so much scary, negative stuff.  But that is far from the whole picture. Unfortunately, the sensational is what gets ratings.

Live your life, enjoy yourself, get out and do what you enjoy.

Valued Contributor

@chickenbutt

@tansy

Wow, my goodness, you two!   You have both been through the wringer. 

I used to do medical transcription and I typed for ortho doctors.  Every other dictation:  a 57-year old woman fell down the steps, a 62-year-old woman tripped on a curb, a 59-yr old woman slipped on grandson's weebles etc., etc.

I was wondering (at that time in my life) WTH was going on.  Until it was my turn Smiley Wink     

I am telling you ladies:  Designer Bubble Wrap.  

Seriously, I hope you are feeling better--I really do.  Good luck on shoulder surgery.  That is so so rough! 

Esteemed Contributor

There have ALWAYS been things to worry about and things that are scary.  Even back in "the good old days", there was crime, kidnappings, gang problems, murders, etc., not to mention that safety measures weren't in place for simple everyday things as they are today.  In many ways we are safer today than we were before.

And not to make anyone more anxious, but things can happen to people in their very own homes too.  There is nowhere that is 100% safe, and looking for that is a waste of time and energy.  

I believe that everyone has to find their own comfort level, but IMO cowering at home isn't at all helpful and likely will just lead to an increased sense of fear.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I totally agree with u -- I've gotten fearful in the last couple of years. Just watching the news and talk-shows scares me!!!! I live in southern California - and today Fabio was being interviewed on FOX --- and he was talking about all the addicts, criminal-types and homeless taking over cities in California, ie, San Francisco. They come from all over - since creepy Governor Brown and the Mayor of Oakland welcome them with open arms. 

Today, I was sitting at my computer and can see out my front window. This woman carrying a large bag rang my doorbell. I said, "I'm not interested" thru the door - and wondered who she was - and thought she must be up to no-good. She stayed at my door a few minutes - then made a phone call. She then walked across the street and left the bag at my neighbor's house. Obviously, she was at the wrong house.

I live in a good area - but many sober living places and half-way houses opened up. I'm on nextdoor dot com every day --- and read about all the people who's packages were stolen at their front door (their cameras show the perps faces); cars get stolen or car windows are smashed. A few people had videos of strangers in their backyards.

Esteemed Contributor

@catwhispererwrote:

@SeaMaiden....I have experienced a home invasion first hand, so I understand your fear. There is so much theft and other crimes happening more than ever. Seeing my doctor isn't going to help that as some have suggested. All they want to do is hand out RX's. (Eye roll).

That's not true.   There are other ways to help a patient who is overly fearful and/or has an excessive amount of anxiety.  Any good doctor certainly would know that and would make the appropriate recommendations.  Many doctors are actually very hesitant to prescribe medication until other alternatives have been tried first.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@kivahwrote:

@SeaMaiden

I totally agree with u -- I've gotten fearful in the last couple of years. Just watching the news and talk-shows scares me!!!! I live in southern California - and today Fabio was being interviewed on FOX --- and he was talking about all the addicts, criminal-types and homeless taking over cities in California, ie, San Francisco. They come from all over - since creepy Governor Brown and the Mayor of Oakland welcome them with open arms. 

Today, I was sitting at my computer and can see out my front window. This woman carrying a large bag rang my doorbell. I said, "I'm not interested" thru the door - and wondered who she was - and thought she must be up to no-good. She stayed at my door a few minutes - then made a phone call. She then walked across the street and left the bag at my neighbor's house. Obviously, she was at the wrong house.

I live in a good area - but many sober living places and half-way houses opened up. I'm on nextdoor dot com every day --- and read about all the people who's packages were stolen at their front door (their cameras show the perps faces); cars get stolen or car windows are smashed. A few people had videos of strangers in their backyards.

That channel wants viewers to be scared🙁

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Leiloni

I feel we are very fortunate.  I know these situations (and others I haven't mentioned) could have easily gone the other way.  It is also one of the reasons I believe in prayer.  Now that I am a little older, when I get a little down or fearful, I can look back and see all  the answered prayers in my life and it gives me peace. That doesn't mean I don't have problems like everyone else or never get scared.....but peace comes more quickly then it used to.  Thank you, Leiloni for your kind words.

Valued Contributor

because.jpg

Trusted Contributor

I guess I just don't worry about stuff like that...what will be, will be.  Can't stay home all the time worrying about what "will" happen.  No one gets out of here alive anyway!