Valued Contributor

Re: I do have other visitors

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Luvtuna wrote:

we had three deer in our backyard yesterday and they were having a real smorgasbord on our plants. I know some people would do something to get rid of them to protect their plants  but I like animals more than plants and they have to eat.

@Luvtuna  The deer eat our hostas. I use Deer be Gone. They don't like the smell and leave them alone. They still nibble on some tree leaves.

Yes they've already eaten some of our hostas but there was one shrub they were really going after. I thought it would be down to bare branches when they were finished.

Respected Contributor

I said before you live in Wonderland. Thanks for sharing 😘

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick   A Peaceable Kingdom!

...and the Lion shall lay down with the Lamb...ISAIAH

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MamaWick  Hope you All are having a good day! Just wondering how many deer you have coming around? They are all so beautiful, and the other little visitors, too.

We have some deer that come near our house, but they are no way nearly as friendly as yours. I toss out apples and carrots and them seem happy with those. I have one hanging bird feeder for the small birds, and the deer have learned to tip the bottom of the feeder up with their nose and the seeds will fall out for them; pretty clever. 😄

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

When I lived in California, we would get deer, turkeys, owls and hawks (some very large ones), mountain lions and on occassion wolves.  One evening we pulled into our driveway to find about 6 deer on our lawn.  We got out of the car, went in the garage and into the house and it didn't scare the deer one bit.  The turkeys can be a real pain.  One year we planted a lot of marigolds.  Woke up the next morning and found every flower bud gone.  Turned out to be the turkeys.  Never planted them again.  We have snakes too.  Opened my front door and saw a very large snake go by in my grass, i just slowly closed the door and didn't go out.  One of the owls that would frequent were screech owls.  That says it all, they would screech all night long.  We once had a pond with fish in it, racoons ate them all.  WE tried our best with wire and stuff, they'd still get in.  And we had a mountain lion across the street, would stay there for hours trying to catch little varmits under the ground.  

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick 

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOO JEALOUS!

Dang!

I wish that was my backyard and my visitors. 

I love all creatures great and small - all of them....it's humans that make me nuts!

MamaWIck - you bring me joy with every photo - thank you so much.