Valued Contributor

I live in a townhome, but we don't have a HOA. There is only 1 driveway which is on my property and everyone parks in the back in or by their garages. (There is a total of 5 townhomes). I hired a snow removal services to clean the driveway and behind my garage and the company said it would charge me $95.00 to do this. I don't do it myself as I don't have a snowblower and it's waaay to much work to shovel myself. Nobody else would help clear it either. Got my invoice for snow removal for 2 different times. One chg is for $95 and the other is $145. She then ran my debit card (for around $286) that they had on file from last year (without my consent this year for and when I contacted her about the error, she would no longer return emails or calls. We'vd had 2 more snow falls that they came and cleared the driveway and the same thing. One chg for $95 and one for $145. Going to send a check minus the $100 she has overcharged me for and see what happens. She has been told this many times. I would love to give them the boot, but with winter, the other companies are booked so I'm kind of stuck for this year. But when spring comes, she is going to get an earful and then some.

Thanks. Feel better

cookin 

Honored Contributor

You might try writing "Paid in Full" in the memo line at the bottom left area of your check.

Esteemed Contributor

I know it's hard to find someone for plowing.  

Many years ago out of desparation, I mentioned it at my local hardware store (I live in a small town).  Got me a plowman - we've been friends for years!

Nowadays it should be somewhat easier.  Most cities/towns have a private site on facebook where residents can just joins (free).  You can then post a question asking for plowman recommendations.  Members will respond, with dollar signs - the number of which represents cheap, expensive and some will even tell you to PM (private message) them if interested.  At the same time members will evaluate - so you'll know if they're happy with a specificservice.

Honored Contributor

I would cancel my debit card immediately and get a new one reissued.  That way she could not charge you again.  Do not send a check if they aren't answering your calls!

When they invoice you or call, explain that they are overcharging you and they already have some of your money paid to use towards your bill. If you can't get ahold of them, do it in writing with a registered letter.

Then give them a CC number, not a debit card.  You can easily disput a CC charge with your bank if they overcharge again.

I would also try to find a different company to do,snow removal for the next season.The one you are using is not on the up and up.

Respected Contributor

The fact that she has your debit card and can charge it at whim for wherever she wants is worrisome. 

One more reason to not own a debit card 

Honored Contributor

Of course, cost to plow depends on the size of your driveway and inches of snow.

Sounds like a lot to me.

Do you use Next Door, the community website?  If not, sign up.  Ask for someone who can plow for you at a reasonable rate.  Often other people will recommend someone.  It's better to use them than someone you don't know.  

I have no advice to give as far as settling your problem with your current company other than don't pay for what you were overcharged.  

Respected Contributor

Good grief, what a bother for you. 

If you cannot get a straight answer from them about why the additional $$ was charged, you have no recourse except to call your bank and let them know someone is using your debit card without your consent, and see what recourse you have.

But this undoubtedly will cause them to drop you as a client.

Suggestion:  contact one of your neighbors to see if they will clear your driveway if you pay them.  If they are right there anyway, they might be willing for a price.  Especiallly if they use a blower versus a shovel.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Wait a second, I just re-read the OP.  Are they still charging your debit card, and if so, why are you sending a check?  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

@cookinfreak wrote:

I live in a townhome, but we don't have a HOA. There is only 1 driveway which is on my property and everyone parks in the back in or by their garages. (There is a total of 5 townhomes). I hired a snow removal services to clean the driveway and behind my garage and the company said it would charge me $95.00 to do this. I don't do it myself as I don't have a snowblower and it's waaay to much work to shovel myself. Nobody else would help clear it either. Got my invoice for snow removal for 2 different times. One chg is for $95 and the other is $145. She then ran my debit card (for around $286) that they had on file from last year (without my consent this year for and when I contacted her about the error, she would no longer return emails or calls. We'vd had 2 more snow falls that they came and cleared the driveway and the same thing. One chg for $95 and one for $145. Going to send a check minus the $100 she has overcharged me for and see what happens. She has been told this many times. I would love to give them the boot, but with winter, the other companies are booked so I'm kind of stuck for this year. But when spring comes, she is going to get an earful and then some.

Thanks. Feel better

cookin 

Did you get that in writing before the work was done?

Honored Contributor

I'm confused, is it your driveway that you let others use or is it a community driveway?