Respected Contributor

As I really do not want to go to my youngest granddaughters baby shower!  

Having been to a couple recently of her friends - all nice young people with all their babies and toddlers - I feel ‘babied’ out.  Last one I went to was taken over completely by the under 5’s and I feel ‘been there done that’.  I am definitely getting too old.  Don’t get me wrong I love the babies but about 20 of them for 4 hours wore me out and they will all be there today in a very small indoor space.  Just having a moan!

Honored Contributor

Re: I Must Be Getting Old!

[ Edited ]

This to shall pass. Tomorrow it will be history.

I will admit, I feel the same way as you do.

Trusted Contributor

she is lucky to have you in her life.  please be grateful for the wonderful family

Honored Contributor

@dulwich,

To brighten your day,

http://www.jattdisite.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Sending-You-Smile-500x187.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Do people bring kids to showers now?  Haven't been to a baby shower for about 5 years and no kids there.

Wedding showers are THE WORST...sooo boring.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I know what you mean. My SIL is having a baby in the next couple of  months. I won't be going to a baby shower. Of course I will buy some stuff for the baby but don't care anything about being around screaming babies. LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

@dulwich 

Moan away, you're amongst fellow moaners, lol. I too, am curious why little children are included? That would be a bit much... and I love babies and children too. Never been to a baby shower where all the little ones are invited. 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

@dulwich : don’t know how old you are but since you’re the grandmother can you go for a bit but then say, honey, I’m sorry but this grandma is pooped and will have to leave. You can say something like you had an upset stomach last night, didn’t sleep. 

Honored Contributor

I dislike baby showers. Just not into oohing and aahing over baby stuff. I am usually the one that brings a bag of practical items like a thermometer, nail trimmer, baby shampoo, ointment, etc. 

Hate the silly & tacky games. I was invited to my husband’s cousin’s baby shower. Only went because my MIL needed a ride. Anyway, in one game they passed around diapers filled with smashed candy bars to resemble poop. Had to guess which diaper was which candy. Gross. 

Respected Contributor

So I have my solution - think I am going to tell her I am not able to make it today - our presents are already at venue - but that DH (Grandad) and I will take her and husband to their favorite restaurant for dinner to celebrate coming baby next weekend.  

I think they will like that as they are on tight budget and do not eat out a lot.

As she has about 30 of her friends going and babies galore I do not think we will be missed that much.