Super Contributor

Re: I Miss George Carlin

[ Edited ]

@AuntG  I think the closest we can come today is Lewis Black.  Editied to correct spelling.

Super Contributor

@insomniac2    Amazon has a bunch of his writings.

Valued Contributor

Re: I Miss George Carlin

[ Edited ]

"Baseball vs. Football" was one of his few routines w/o swear words.  He also said his greatest fear was only part of h311 would break loose, b/c that would be much harder to detect.

I saw him when he came to Penn State in late 1980s.  When he did the "Incomplete List of Impolite Words and Phrases", he read them from the computer paper w/sprocket hole on the side.  We all rec'd a copy of his latest album as we exited the auditorium.

When he was (posthumously) awarded the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor a few years ago, Lewis Black joked that after PBS bleeped all the cuss words, it would be about 20 minutes long.  And then he proceeded to recreate "7 Words You Can't Say on TV" (which should be retitled to be "7 Words You Can't Say on Broadcast TV and Terrestrial Radio").

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Like many of you I loved the substance of his "messages" but not necessarily the language used to deliver them.  I realy liked his airport report.

It's been a long time since I laughed out loud at television.  George Carlin always got me laughing, as did Johnny Carson.  The only thing I laugh at anyore is the old episodes of The Golden Girls. 

@Perkup  Miss Carlin and Carson. Try the reruns of "Hill Street Blues" on Hulu; been watching since it hit HuLu about a month ago.  It, too, was blunt like Carlin (not pc) and I am smiling and laughing alot since some of the situations in the episodes are just hilarious; Furillo, Howard and Renko being my favorite regular characters! It was my favorite back in the 80's when it premiered, looking at it now am seeing things I missed back then; Daniel J. Travanti's role of Furillo was superior. Have also been watchng reruns of Golden Girls on Hulu over the last 6 months, just wonderful.....not silly like many of the current comedy shows. My favorite comedies, "Last Man Standing" and "The Middle" have either been cancelled or ending this season. Have seen them all and these 2 have been the only ones with staying power for me.

Respected Contributor

Tinkrb144 and excpa, thanks for the suggestions to look on ebay and Amazon for Carlin's book. Most of what they had featured comedy routines, but one did not--and I think it's the one! I shall be ordering it.

Thanks for the help!

Trusted Contributor

If you have the DECADES TV station on basic cable they are now showing reruns of the old Ed Sullivan Show and in the last few weeks I have seen George Carlin several times. In one appearance he did the "Hippy Dippy Weatherman!". 

The Ed Sullivan reruns are in half-hour compilations, two new ones each day, Monday tbrough Friday. They run them three times a day ...noon to 1 pm, 5 to 6 pm, and 11 pm to midnight. I have my DVR set to record the noon to 1 pm shows.

Being a Baby Boomer, Ed Sullivan was must-see TV in our house growing up! Since the Decades channel started reruning these shows on Sept. 4, I have seen everyone from the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Elvis to Carlin, Joan Rivers, Flip Wilson, and Richard Pryor.

And the last Carlin book I bought was written in 2005..."When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?" It was hilarious!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

In my opinion, he was the most brilliant comedian ever. His baseball vs. football routine was unforgettable. His way with words and his observations on human foibles were fantastic. No one else comes close. I was fortunate enough to see him in a live performance years ago. He was the best...language and all!

Same here- I saw him 'live' a couple of years before he passed. Brilliant man !

Honored Contributor

(thread title only)

@excpa

Me too! Many commented to me that I looked like George Carlin. Now if I only had his brain and his ability to find humor in so many aspects of daily lives, I'd go on tour! Sure I would!    =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)