Respected Contributor

I do not watch TV during the day. If I do it’s an old movie. In a doctor’s office I see what they have on and it is awful. Patients watch! Can’t read a magazine because of germs we may get. Just have to wait it out.

Respected Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I miss adults on newscasts, cooking shows, weather casts, giving book reviews, etc.

I am so sick of seeing pie throwing, dancing and jumping, screaming, baby food like cupcakes and mac and cheese, and other things that adults do and talk about..  

Intelligence and wit and interesting food seem to have disappeared in favor of the junior high school mentality and hijenks that you see, hear or read in almost any medium now.  

I just miss the grown up world. This feeling was brought on when I tried to watch The Chew just now.  

Exactly!  I have felt this way for a long time.  Even when I watch my local news I feel like I’m being yelled at and they report the smallest news item as if it was a major happening.  They have these dumb push alerts, which they keep taking about during the whole newcast.  It’s exhausting to watch it. 

Isn't that the truth!  The local news delivery and well-practiced voice inflections to amp up drama are cringe worthy.  Last evening I heard one of the worst doing a voice-over for a year-end-review where she spoke naturally.  I commented to DH, "See!  She can talk normal!"  It was a very short period of refreshing listening.  I've been cutting back on time spent on one-note national news and now even local is getting on my last nerve.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

I do not watch TV during the day. If I do it’s an old movie. In a doctor’s office I see what they have on and it is awful. Patients watch! Can’t read a magazine because of germs we may get. Just have to wait it out.

I can't stand it either when I'm in a waiting room (doctor, car repair) and TV is on.  I don't watch it but can't help hearing the idiocy.  There are some really stupid things on TV these days.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm "old" and often think of the tv shows from the past. You are so right!!!! The shows are so repetitive - cooking, weather, commercials (endless), yelling, talking fast and loud. I sit with my remote and either mute a show or change the channel. There are so few programs I watch -- I miss those entertainment shows, game shows, sitcoms from long ago. They're always trying to duplicate a show - but once you've seen the original - it's not the same.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I enjoy create on pbs. I see Julia  Child, Jaques Pepin, Martha Stewart and a host of others

Nothing dumbed down, no cutesy stuff like calling things stewp( Reachel Ray)

@cherry @Sooner

I love Create---Lidia, America's Test Kitchen, Julia, and Martha Stewart.........real cooking without the nonesense..

Even some of the humor on TV seems to be geared for 10 year olds, not funny and very immature and childish...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: I Miss Adults

[ Edited ]

@kivah wrote:

I'm "old" and often think of the tv shows from the past. You are so right!!!! The shows are so repetitive - cooking, weather, commercials (endless), yelling, talking fast and loud. I sit with my remote and either mute a show or change the channel. There are so few programs I watch -- I miss those entertainment shows, game shows, sitcoms from long ago. They're always trying to duplicate a show - but once you've seen the original - it's not the same.

@kivah

ITA agree with you! And lets talk about the ENDLESS talent search shows and the networks are adding even more of these  too....And yet they wonder why viewership is down on the regular broadcast channels.....as they say--- it doesnt take a rocket scientist.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Catiele wrote:

All of my doctor offices have free wifi

I can watch TV on my smartphone or knock around Facebook.

Most of my "friends" on FB are sites for news, cooking, crafts, etc.

Honored Contributor

This country is youth obsessed!  My two sisters are RN's.  One worked in Emergency at MedStar (where the helicopter comes in).  She's had extensive emergency room experience.

Yet, she's been looking for a job for months.  I've talked to several people (strangers) who've been looking for jobs for months (two have been looking for over 1 year).

Why?  They are all convinced it's because most of them are in their early 50's.

I totally agree with the OP!  It's crazy some of the things I see on TV these days (morning shows).

I don't watch much morning news (if you want to call it that) shows, they act like a bunch of teenagers.

Anyway, it used to mean something when people had some knowledge and training.  Now they only need to be young, (usually slim) and attractive.  Ugh!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Miss Adults

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I miss adults on newscasts, cooking shows, weather casts, giving book reviews, etc.

I am so sick of seeing pie throwing, dancing and jumping, screaming, baby food like cupcakes and mac and cheese, and other things that adults do and talk about..  

Intelligence and wit and interesting food seem to have disappeared in favor of the junior high school mentality and hijenks that you see, hear or read in almost any medium now.  

I just miss the grown up world. This feeling was brought on when I tried to watch The Chew just now.  

Try the Food Network.

The Food Network is part of the problem.  One example is Alton Brown.  I so want to watch a decent Iron Chef, but simply cannot tolerate that ___________ for 1 minute.  He needs to go.  He's just a big kid bragging on himself all the time.

Isn't Michael Simon an Iron Chef?

Honored Contributor

The only daytime tv I watch is the noon news to get the weather forecast.