Respected Contributor

that you really have to be careful what you say on this forum. I am a fun person overall and as I get older I appreciate life more and more so I don't feel that everything I say has to be serious if you know what I mean. I believe in adding humor when you can because you are not promised the next day or hour.

My last 2 posts, one about Valentines day and the other about Knee replacement "victims" (which I am one of them) was taken differently by some unfortunately because it was not ment to degrade others. I realize that everyone has there own opinion about what is said and the way it is said but  wow some take things much to serious. I think I will just read and not comment. This is the only forum I read, do you belong to other forums? Same issues? Just wondering.   

Honored Contributor

Re: I'M LEARNING

[ Edited ]

I don't recall your Valentine's Day post but I don't read every post.  I answered the TKR post.  The thing with humor is that some people aren't going to get it.  We might think something is funny, that doesn't mean anyone else will see it that way.  That's what happened with "victim", you knew what you meant.  No one else would ever get that it was a humorous remark. Don't worry about it. Yes, I do post on other boards and that sometimes happens.  I was once accused on some board  of using LOL and Smiley faces too much but I do that so that posters will know when I mean something in a humorous  way.  

Honored Contributor

That's why I use emojis when I think there might be a misunderstanding. It's not foolproof, but it can help. 😃

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes I belong to a couple of crafting groups on Facebook and people can be so mean and brutal of others handiwork.

I know they say don't post if you don't want opinions but come on - just don't say anything!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, it's unfortunate that there are those who seem to revel in either general threadcrapping or insulting others.   I've been here since 2004/2005and, at this point, I spend a lot less time here than I used to.

I do much more of my board time on boards where everybody is a grown-up and stuff like that just isn't tolerated.  People CAN have different POVs and talk like grown ups without the insults.  Just not so much here.

But, the good thing that I imagine you've also discovered here by now is that there ARE a lot of really great peeps here.  That is the only reason I come back.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote: I don't recall your Valentine's Day post but I don't read every post.  I answered the TKR post.  The thing with humor is that some people aren't going to get it.  We might think something is funny, that doesn't mean anyone else will see it that way.  That's what happened with "victim", you knew what you meant.  No one else would ever get that it was a humorous remark. Don't worry about it. Yes, I do post on other boards and that sometimes happens.  I was once accused on some board  of using LOL and Smiley faces too much but I do that so that posters will know when I mean something in a humorous  way. 

The term victim was just making fun of the situation, including myself  but others took it to serious. Oh well, that's lifeWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Expressing my thoughts on this forum only allows me to type words,.  Those reading the words do not have the benefit of hearing vocal inflection or seeing facial expressions.  This allows for misinterpretation of the words on the screen.  I have found that if I type that my words are to be taken in jest, it may alleviate such misunderstanding.  This can be accomplished via an emoji (i.e. Smiley LOL or Smiley Wink) or an initialism (i.e. LOL or ROTFL).   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

that you really have to be careful what you say on this forum. I am a fun person overall and as I get older I appreciate life more and more so I don't feel that everything I say has to be serious if you know what I mean. I believe in adding humor when you can because you are not promised the next day or hour.

My last 2 posts, one about Valentines day and the other about Knee replacement "victims" (which I am one of them) was taken differently by some unfortunately because it was not ment to degrade others. I realize that everyone has there own opinion about what is said and the way it is said but  wow some take things much to serious. I think I will just read and not comment. This is the only forum I read, do you belong to other forums? Same issues? Just wondering.   

You could choose to still post, and just explain yourself if someone misunderstands your intent. I read your previous posts to see what happened, and yes, there were a few that took things in a different way from what you later explained as joking. There were a couple that were not happy about a Valentines' Day, but you explained yourself well. Take your own advice, don't get too serious about this. Let things roll off your back. 🙂

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes I saw the Valentine Day one and commented.  I felt it was a positive share that you have a loving relationship with your husband and how you celebrate.  Most of the time people act immediately in their response based on their emotions, without thinking.  They could be in a bad place and it just hits them the wrong way and boom, they make a judgement and it goes haywire.  If I get a response that hits me in a negative way, I TRY to ignore it.  

I feel most people do not invest time in reading through the responses to get a better idea of what is going on.  They just want to make their comment because that's pretty much all they care about -- that being what they need to say.  You never know what you're gonna get.  

Honored Contributor

It happens everywhere. If I think the person is misunderstanding in good faith, I go ahead and do my best to explain. But just because someone asks a question, doesn't mean they deserve an answer.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr