Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

"Bob's your uncle" has to be one of my favorite phrases...means "and there it is" usually following an instruction and getting a result like if someone is showing how to do something correctly and we might say "and there ya go" .

I remember watching  the British ChefJamie Oliver on PBS and he said  that, i melted. Love the UK!!

Wow. That's  a new one on me!!

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

"Bob's your uncle" has to be one of my favorite phrases...means "and there it is" usually following an instruction and getting a result like if someone is showing how to do something correctly and we might say "and there ya go" .

I remember watching  the British ChefJamie Oliver on PBS and he said  that, i melted. Love the UK!!

Wow. That's  a new one on me!!

Here's an explanation of where it came from:

In 1887, British Prime Minister Robert Gascoyne-Cecil appointed his nephew Arthur James Balfour as Minister for Ireland. The phrase 'Bob's your uncle' was coined when Arthur referred to the Prime Minister as 'Uncle Bob'. Apparently, it's very simple to become a minister when Bob's your uncle!

Esteemed Contributor

There's a British expression which means something like keep your hopes up or keep your strength up. It's "Keep your pec...r up." In this country the expression would be considered very vulgar.

Honored Contributor

Is "as it were" a British phrase?   As it were ... WHAT?   lol

Honored Contributor
DH was stationed in the UK just outside of London for several years. He lets loose with his accent from time to time which is hilarious. Both sides of my family are from Bristol. I think I am a confirmed Anglophile! Carry on...

Valued Contributor

@chessielady wrote:

I liked rolly bin...trash can.

Trousers versus pants. If I remember correctly pants were undies and trousers were slacks. I learned that lesson when I had a pocket full off change and mentioned that my pants might fall down from the weight of all the coins. I got a look and a snicker !

---

My family are from the northeast. We say "wheelie bin."

In addition to underpants, "pants," in  British slang, means rubbish/nonsense, somewhat similar to the way Americans use the term "bs."