Honored Contributor

Not a fan of the outfit, but love Shawn.

Respected Contributor

I think Shawn has made it her business to learn about fashion and be very current. I remember when she first came to QVC. Her style was completely different and less contemporary..... I think she is trying very hard to be a good host and although there have been times her presentations I have turned off, for the most part I like her...

Honored Contributor

Re:

"I have a problem with implying that rubbing rings that say "hear my soul speak" fall into the category of faith or inspirational jewelry.  That phrase comes from Shakespeare.  I believe people should be told by the host the origin of that phrase.

"Hear my soul speak.  The very instant I saw you did my heart fly to your service."  The Tempest."

Shakespeare used many biblical quotes and references, I don't see anything wrong with others using his words.  We all know his words are used for many other things, it's nothing new.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

"A sales clerk is not ordained to preach to the multitudes."

No one has to be ordained to preach to the multitudes.

Regular Contributor

But was Shakespeare simultaneously lining his pockets with the fruits of his preaching? I don't think so.... 

Someone asked me about my earlier comment. I'll try to explain. We cannot attempt to manifest our personal goals, dreams, hopes, and wishes while we simultaneously pray to God, asking for   what is optimized. The two are clearly contradictory, where we attempt to control vs. God in control. Shawn even said last night that she was fearful about her dreams NOT coming true just as she has fear that some of them WILL come true.

When we surrender OUR hand on the tiller and truly allow God to direct, it is impossible to be afraid. Step back and be directed, because God's direction is optimized for the Whole of ALL, not for one person's so-called "personal" interests. What is whole (all of creation) cannot have a single "personal" interest apart from the whole. To think that it can generates fear, such as what Shawn said she was feeling. 

I speak on behalf of all of Creation, which goes way beyond any particular religion. This has nothing to do with religion, in fact. Religions divide. The love of our Creator (call him whatever you want to) ALWAYS is about sharing and joining. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

"But was Shakespeare simultaneously lining his pockets with the fruits of his preaching? I don't think so..."

Of course he was.  He was a playwright and his plays were shown at the Globe theater and other places while he was alive, and they were full of biblical references.

Quotes from Shakespeare are over the place in today's world.  Do you want to stop those, too?

Honored Contributor

In case anyone is interested in the stats:

"The most frequently repeated figure on the books of the Bible to which Shakespeare refers is 42 books—eighteen from each of the Testaments and the remaining from the Apocrypha. Shakespeare’s writing contains more references to the Bible than the plays of any other Elizabethan playwright. A conservative tally of the total number of biblical references is 1200, a figure that I think could be doubled."

https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2013/04/shakespeare-and-the-word/

Respected Contributor

NoelSeven, I think you may have misunderstood what I said.  That quote from the Tempest is a man speaking about the woman he loves - it is not Biblical.  The ring is presented as a symbol of comfort and aide to those suffering health, personal, emotional issues.  If people choose to accept that, that is their choice.  But the origin and meaning of the phrase should be accurate.  

Honored Contributor

Re: I LIKE SHAWN....

[ Edited ]

NoelSeven, I think you may have misunderstood what I said.  That quote from the Tempest is a man speaking about the woman he loves - it is not Biblical.  The ring is presented as a symbol of comfort and aide to those suffering health, personal, emotional issues.  If people choose to accept that, that is their choice.  But the origin and meaning of the phrase should be accurate.  

No, I didn't misunderstand at all.  I know where the quote originated, I simply disagree with you.

Shawn's quotes have been described as "inspirational."  That doesn't mean they have to be biblical, did she claim it was?

It seems to me people find inspiration from many quotes, it doesn't really matter what the original use was.  We see that all the time.

Honored Contributor

There may have been more than one presentation from Shawn about the ring in question which says, "Hear my soul speak," but I looked at the video presentation on Q and she clearly says it's a quote from Shakespeare. 

I have to agree with her, I think it's inspirational, I just don't agree that she should have had to say which play and under what circumstances.

http://www.qvc.com/Shawns-Hear-My-Soul-Speak-Sterling-Inscribed-Ring.product.J282296.html?sc=J282296...