Honored Contributor

Re: I Had To Chuckle Sending Check To IRS.

I'm sorry to hear any people who are not entitled to money under the stimulus act got money -  whether it's the heir of a decresed or a huge corporation already floating in cash.

But I'm pleased the IRS is trying to claw back that money because the nation has millions of citizens already on food lines.  As one of those paying, that's where I want my money to go -  even during WWII rationing, I don't remember we went hungry. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We just got back from mailing the check for my MIL.. I saw that word immediately and thought, BS, LOL ...  the IRS giveth and boy oh boy it wants their money back fast... hahahaha

It was really easy process on the website someone posted yesterday and thanks for that!

When the money was direct deposited we donated it all to our local food bank, Emcompass Ministries (Papa's Pantry) so it was a good thing all around..

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Contributor

I thought I read or heard who gets the deceased check gets to keep it.
Honored Contributor

@Purplenails wrote:
I thought I read or heard who gets the deceased check gets to keep it.

Originally, yes, but the IRS had a change of heart yesterday. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle  I'd call it they changed their minds.  I never thought of the words heart and IRS in the same sentence. lol

Honored Contributor

my son got his last week

and the upper right corner of the envelope has a box to check if the recipient is dead , and to return to sender

was this added recently ? 

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Shelbelle  I'd call it they changed their minds.  I never thought of the words heart and IRS in the same sentence. lol

Funny, I saw on the IRS site, it says Do NOT call the IRS about this. 

Esteemed Contributor

A10. No. A Payment made to someone who died before receipt of the Payment should be returned to the IRS by following the instructions in the Q&A about repayments. Return the entire Payment unless the Payment was made to joint filers and one spouse had not died before receipt of the Payment, in which case, you only need to return the portion of the Payment made on account of the decedent. This amount will be $1,200 unless adjusted gross income exceeded $150,000. 

Notice the question says added May 6th (yesterday for those who've stopped paying attention to what day it is. jk Smiley Very Happy) From what I'm reading in this thread it must have changed. I'll include a link :

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

Honored Contributor

Thank you @SusieQ_2 for the website.  That's exactly where I got all the information for sending MIL's back.  Was really easy to do.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear  someone who received theirs by mail also told me  the same thing.