Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

This video on the tube would drive your sweet Henry crazy...lol...one of my faves! Be sure and watch till the very end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI6pXpPf2BE

@silkyk  Wow!  That must be in California.  I saw so many different types of hummingbirds.  I think the Annas and Rufous are beautiful.  We only have Ruby Throats, and only one of them come to a feeder at a time.  When another one starts buzzing around, the one at the feeder usually chases it off.  Thanks for sharing the video.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NycVixen:  if you haven't yet enjoyed this...  

Respected Contributor

@NickNack

What a precious photo!!  I'd have that in a frame. Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I was standing outside, and a hummingbird flew up to where I usually have one of my feeders!  I'm so glad I saw it.  I hurried inside and made the nectar, and when it reaches room temperature will put my feeders out.  I love to watch them, and so does Henry, my cat, from the safety of my screened in porch.

fullsizeoutput_10d.jpeg

I saw 2 the other day..they are the sweetest!!!!! Love this pic!!!!! xxx

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor
that is an adorable picture!
Super Contributor

Re: Hummingbirds

[ Edited ]

@Spurt  Yes!  I've had hummers fuss and scowl at me through my kitchen window if my feeder wasn't up yet or if it was empty.  So funny!  And I did the same thing you did - quickly scrambled to get that feeder up and filled.  (My quick fix after making a batch of syrup is to fill a glass measuring cup and sit that in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes.  That makes just enough syrup to fill 1 of my feeders.)

I have dealt with fire ants and also those tiny black ants and I have a couple of suggestions that may work for you.  First, never dump the remains of your feeder on the ground outside.  Always take it inside to empty the old syrup and rinse it off under hot running water before refilling.  Second, try this little suction cup feeder.  I have been using this style for years and it seems to keep the ants and bees at bay.  I usually refill mine a couple of times a week.  I used to put water in the "moat" but found that it made it too heavy.  Works just as well with an empty moat.

jewel box feeder.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@zanna wrote:

@Spurt  Yes!  I've had hummers fuss and scowl at me through my kitchen window if my feeder wasn't up yet or if it was empty.  So funny!  And I did the same thing you did - quickly scrambled to get that feeder up and filled.  (My quick fix after making a batch of syrup is to fill a glass measuring cup and sit that in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes.  That makes just enough syrup to fill 1 of my feeders.)

I have dealt with fire ants and also those tiny black ants and I have a couple of suggestions that may work for you.  First, never dump the remains of your feeder on the ground outside.  Always take it inside to empty the old syrup and rinse it off under hot running water before refilling.  Second, try this little suction cup feeder.  I have been using this style for years and it seems to keep the ants and bees at bay.  I usually refill mine a couple of times a week.  I used to put water in the "moat" but found that it made it too heavy.  Works just as well with an empty moat.

jewel box feeder.jpg

@zanna

Hi, thanks so much for the tips..... 

I never dumped the remains of the syrup outside on the ground....I always took the feeder in and cleaned it thoroughly with hot water......  I would never dump the syrup remains because that would attract ants, wasps, or other types of bugs (like the big roaches---ARRGGHHH)......

Maybe I'll try the sunction cup feeder with the empty moat, do you remember where you bought that feeder?  Was it online or a popular store?....I do miss the hummers...  I remember one time all of a sudden there was a quick summer thunderstorm, and the rain came down pretty heavy and a little hummer rested on one of my windchimes so cute...they are so tiny but fiesty---LOVE 'EM! .

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt  

Google "Aspects 407 Jewel Box Window Hummingbird Feeder, 8-Ounce" for online and B&W retailers.  $17.99 on amazon.  I've had 2 going for 3 or 4 years.  Sometimes need to tighten the screws that hold the suction cups in place.  Clean the area area of the window with a little rubbing alcohol and let that dry before pressing suctions cups into place.

From my kitchen window:

Hummer Jul2018.jpg

Hummer Jul2018.2.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@zanna

Thanks for all the info....Ill check it out.....Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I was standing outside, and a hummingbird flew up to where I usually have one of my feeders!  I'm so glad I saw it.  I hurried inside and made the nectar, and when it reaches room temperature will put my feeders out.  I love to watch them, and so does Henry, my cat, from the safety of my screened in porch.

fullsizeoutput_10d.jpeg

O! I. Love. This! @NickNack!