Honored Contributor

I was standing outside, and a hummingbird flew up to where I usually have one of my feeders!  I'm so glad I saw it.  I hurried inside and made the nectar, and when it reaches room temperature will put my feeders out.  I love to watch them, and so does Henry, my cat, from the safety of my screened in porch.

fullsizeoutput_10d.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Hummers look like wind-up cat toys.  I can understand why Henry would be fascinated with them.  They're fun to watch, especially when you have several that fight while jockeying for position.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

How cute!!!

I can never manage to snap pics of the humingbirds, they are so fast.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hummingbirds

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

Great picture!!!  Love Hummers!!!  And what a cute kitty too....Cat Very Happy

I used to have a Hummingbird feeder, but then some nasty fire ants found the nectar, so I had to abandon the feeder to get rid of the fire ants (feeders that had wasp/ant protection didnt work)....But what was sad, the Hummers remember where the feeders are and one came buy and actually fussed at me because I didn't have my feeder anymore....Woman Sad

There is mom and pop restaurant located outside the city limits that we like to go to, and they have Hummingbird feeders outside all their windows, and it's so neat to watch these marvelous birds! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Oh,oh, @NickNack, looks like kitty noticed too!

I just noticed a few the other day.  I have some "weeds" that just grew up this year.  They're tall, with thick stalks and little yellow flowers.  Don't know what they are, very nice looking and spread and grow like wildfire!  

Definitely not your typical weeds.  Everyone comments on the beautiful "flowers" and asks what they are.  I like them and will not cut down - they're taller than me! - and have noticed that bees and hummingbirds are around them in the morning and afternoon, respectively.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

Henry is just adorable watching the hummers.

Honored Contributor

Hey Hey, Henry, you cutie!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

The ruby throats came early to my area this year (May).  I have a little feeder at the porch, but I had the same response as you, @NickNack - one morning they were humming around right where that feeder usually is and I beat feet to get it up!  That day, it was up and running.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Aww such a sweet picture!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Hummingbirds

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

OMG, how precious!  From the back, Henry's markings look almost identical to my Bogey's markings.  

Not only do I have a Hummer feeder on our terrace, but we also throw out some nuts every day for Bogey's squirrel friends to come by .... he just loves all his visitors!    Heart

BTW ......  you can have instant Hummingbird water if you heat about 1/2 cup less of water, throw in the sugar and stir thoroughly ..... and then throw in some ice cubes and stir till they are melted.   

Speeds up the process .... can't let those little birdies wait for their lunch!    Heart