Respected Contributor

Re: Huh? Toll bill from Good To Go Washington State

@chrystaltree wrote:
It's a terrible way to live; seeing plots and schemes and theft and scams everywhere. It's sad.

You don't get it either. That's sad.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Valued Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

Wow. I would think if they can't fully read a license plate they wouldn't just guess and send a bill out.  Sounds like your theory is right. 

That is the way government does things.  Sometimes i wonder if there is anything between their ears.

Honored Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

So the software they use in reading the plates made an error, or there was a data entry error.  T/he issue is resolved, is it not?  No harm done?

Why do people immediately jump to the conclusion that there is a nefarious plot to send bills to people who have not driven on the toll roads?  I would hate to be that paranoid.

You entirely missed the point though I'm not surprised.

Flagrant errors cost money. Taxpayers' money.

My vehicle did not match the vehicle in the toll photo.

My license plate number did not match the plate number in the photo.

My license plate (state) did not match the plate in the photo.

There was absolutely nothing in the toll photo that could identify my vehicle to that one yet I was sent a bill. Because of this resources were wasted to follow up on the mistake.

To excuse sloppy errors by shifting the focus of the issue while inferring I'm "paranoid" is ridiculous. No wonder there's so much waste in government. People either don't care or are oblivious to the problem.

@Say Nay

So if they couldn't identify the license plate or vehicle, how did they decide to send you a bill?   How did you and your address enter into this equation?

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 The WSDOT rep couldn't tell me why I recieved the bill. He said I will be getting a letter from them telling me that the fee was dismissed.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

What a surprise!  I hate that happened to you and glad to hear they dismissed it. ☺️

Actually, I think it's good to know they attempt to go after people.  (Even if they got it wrong this time). During a recent trip through West Virginia, a nearby car ran through three toll booths.  I was frustrated because we were paying $2 each time and it seemed like the toll booth operators were doing nothing about it.  The driver would slow down like they were going to pay then accelerate quickly as they got up to the window.  At the last two booths, we gave the cashier the license plate # of the car, and she said they had cameras and would be sending them a bill.  I wondered if they would ever see any of that money from those two.  The driver appeared to be around 16 or 17 and the passenger appeared to be 40s.  I thought that was so wrong for the older man to seemingly encourage the young driver to do that.  Again, I hate this happened to the OP, but I think it's good to know they are trying to hunt down people who run through the tolls.

WV along with Pa has Easy Pass tolls, you slow down enough for the scanner to read the device and keep going, maybe he had that.

Respected Contributor

In Illinois if you go through a toll without paying and don't have the EZ Pass, you have 7 days to pay online.  I don't think they send a bill.

Esteemed Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

What a surprise!  I hate that happened to you and glad to hear they dismissed it. ☺️

Actually, I think it's good to know they attempt to go after people.  (Even if they got it wrong this time). During a recent trip through West Virginia, a nearby car ran through three toll booths.  I was frustrated because we were paying $2 each time and it seemed like the toll booth operators were doing nothing about it.  The driver would slow down like they were going to pay then accelerate quickly as they got up to the window.  At the last two booths, we gave the cashier the license plate # of the car, and she said they had cameras and would be sending them a bill.  I wondered if they would ever see any of that money from those two.  The driver appeared to be around 16 or 17 and the passenger appeared to be 40s.  I thought that was so wrong for the older man to seemingly encourage the young driver to do that.  Again, I hate this happened to the OP, but I think it's good to know they are trying to hunt down people who run through the tolls.

WV along with Pa has Easy Pass tolls, you slow down enough for the scanner to read the device and keep going, maybe he had that.

@nun ya They didn't have the Easy Pass and didn't use those designated lanes. They were in our lane directly in front of us the last two times and the toll booth operators told us that they didn't pay. We told the cashiers we'd seen them do it before, and they wrote down the license plate numbers and said they would report the car.  Shortly after we went through the tolls, we saw them laughing like they were celebrating being able to get past another one.  These were definitely not Easy Pass holders--at least not in that car that day.

Honored Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

So the software they use in reading the plates made an error, or there was a data entry error.  T/he issue is resolved, is it not?  No harm done?

Why do people immediately jump to the conclusion that there is a nefarious plot to send bills to people who have not driven on the toll roads?  I would hate to be that paranoid.

You entirely missed the point though I'm not surprised.

Flagrant errors cost money. Taxpayers' money.

My vehicle did not match the vehicle in the toll photo.

My license plate number did not match the plate number in the photo.

My license plate (state) did not match the plate in the photo.

There was absolutely nothing in the toll photo that could identify my vehicle to that one yet I was sent a bill. Because of this resources were wasted to follow up on the mistake.

To excuse sloppy errors by shifting the focus of the issue while inferring I'm "paranoid" is ridiculous. No wonder there's so much waste in government. People either don't care or are oblivious to the problem.

@Say Nay these errors do cost taxpayer money to investigate and correct.  We got a bill in the mail for not paying the EZ Pass toll in MD during a recent trip.  I had to log on to my ezpass account, print out the range for the date in question to show I had sufficient funds on my ez pass on the date we allegedly didn't pay, mail that in with the ticket, etc.  Got a letter a few weeks later that after investigating, they were in error.  Really?  These ezpass systems are great --until the errors start.  It is crazy you got a toll violation for a state you haven't been to.  It's NOT the $2 fine or whatever it was.  It probably took an hour + of your time (and even more of their time and resources) to straighten out on your end. 

Respected Contributor

This is from an article about the Good To Go toll system published in April this year:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/good-to-go-photo-toll-bills-driver-from-illinois-who-never-...

Snip:

"Dave Smithson lives more than 2,000 road miles from Seattle, in a suburb of St. Louis. He’s never been here, and up until the letters began arriving in January, never gave us much of a thought.

“I visited Oregon once,” he told me on the phone.

Yet Smithson, a middle-school teacher in Glen Carbon, Ill., is somehow the latest to be sucked into a bureaucratic whirlpool from which apparently no American now is safe. I’m talking, of course, about our Good to Go tolling system.

It started last winter, when Smithson got a bill for driving a semitruck across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge twice. At first he ignored it — because he drives a Mazda and he’d never even heard of the Narrows bridge.

But the bills, with added fines, kept coming. So eventually he called both the state and me [Danny Westneat, Columnist for The Seattle Times].

What happened is that the truck had a commercial plate with the same license number, but when neither Illinois nor our state noticed the difference, the bills were sent mistakenly to Smithson. In March, a supervisor acknowledged the error and said the charges would be cleared.

“She said it’s 99 percent certain I won’t get another bill,” Smithson told me back in March...

Sure enough, he now has received seven bills in all, with some additional fines added. The total rose to $41.50. The latest bill threatened to add $80 in civil penalty fines and put a hold on his car plates.

Glitches happen. But the number of billing errors and the trouble the state has correcting them is concerning as the state ponders huge expansions in electronic tolling.

In the past six months the state and its private Texas contractor, Electronic Transaction Consultants (motto: “everything you need for life in the fast lane”), have made one whopper after another. In October 3,350 drivers were charged double for tolls on I-405. In December an additional 126,000 drivers were overcharged. And last week 8,200 drivers suddenly got invoices for nearly $1 million in tolls that were stored, but never billed, for a year.

It’s possible that we’re not quite ready to use cameras, computers and the U.S. mail to manage a hundred thousand charges per day. Some say the state does not have the customer-service chops for such a massive billing operation..."

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____