Regular Contributor

This has been going on for decades. Rich families have paid millions to colleges/universities and voila their child is accepted.  The probation court and judge decided this was a big nothing, thus the sentence.

Honored Contributor

this should not really be a surprise to anyone?

actually , i was surprised that it was this "harsh" for her.

lets just say our justice system is not fair, has never been fair, and will probably never be fair in the future......and it doesnt always have to do with money or status.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

The sentence is ridiculous but I didn't expect her to get what she deserves, a year in prison & a huge fine. The others involved deserve the same.

Respected Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@bathina wrote:
No probation? I think her sentence is fair.

Fair, I don't think so. On the View they pointed out a young black mother who was homeless got five years in prison for falsifying her address. She wanted her child to go to a decent school system. 

Wow!  that's just plain wrong!  Where's Kim K??  She needs to be helping this lady to get out of jail.

I didn't think Huffman would get much jail time....so that part doesn't surprise me and I am sure she'll most likely only be there 1 or 2 days MAX.  But the amount of the fine is too low...I would have thought 100k (which is pocket change) for these folks would have been issued.

Honored Contributor

@prisrob wrote:

This has been going on for decades. Rich families have paid millions to colleges/universities and voila their child is accepted.  The probation court and judge decided this was a big nothing, thus the sentence.

@prisrob  That’s for sure. Make a big donation and your kid gets accepted. Some very famous people do and have done this. All legal.

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@bathina wrote:
No probation? I think her sentence is fair.

Fair, I don't think so. On the View they pointed out a young black mother who was homeless got five years in prison for falsifying her address. She wanted her child to go to a decent school system. 

@manny2 

I was going to recount the same story. Working in criminal justice for many years, I'm sure you can guess how I feel about a 14-day sentence. But I find comfort in my belief system:

You will never understand the damage

you did to someone

until the same thing is done to you.

That is why I am here.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Huffman sentence

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

I think the fact that she showed humility and contrition helped a lot. She cooperated at least, which is more than I can say for Lori. 

--------------

But what I kept thinking -- as they stated that she was sobbing in court -- she is an actress, people!!!  She knows how to 'act' out humility and contrition. 

I think she is sorry she followed through with the fraud, but maybe also sorry she got caught???

Respected Contributor

She will be out before the ink dries on all the paperwork.  Smiley Mad

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

The Court of Public Opinion will be much, much, much harsher

than any regular judge could issue. 

I don't know.  People will forgive anything nowdays.  Even murder. . . 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Lori gets her trial first, before any books can be thrown.

Keep in mind that a jury could find her not guilty.

I think a jury will likely acquit. The defense will be that she followed the advice she was given and didn't realize it was illegal. She didn't invent the guy who pulled the strings. He was in business before she ever came along. She'll pin the blame on whoever referred her to him, likely a school guidance counselor at her daughter's school, or another parent. She did what she was told to do and assumed it was all just how the system worked.

I'm pretty sure no one told her, "This is highly illegal and you could go to jail if you're caught." It's far more likely she was told, "This guy can help get your daughter into the school of her choice. We've worked with him before and he's a miracle worker." 

The guy who was doing the actual bribery had a legitimate-looking storefront and business. He'd been doing it for years. The wealthy tend to pay people to do everything for them, so why not pay a guy to get your kid into her dream college? 

We're in that murky area of proving criminal intent that we've heard a lot about lately in multiple federal cases. Did she act with the intent to commit a crime, or simply try to do what was best for her daughter by hiring a professional to get her into the best college? Proving criminal intent is a big challenge.

To quote the quotable Flip Wilson:  The DEVIL made me do it!