Honored Contributor

When I was making strawberry shortcake this weekend, I flashed back to when I was a child, and my parents would take me to Howard's Johnson's. I would usually order the strawberry ice cream shortcake , just regular with vanilla ice cream. If I didn't get that , it was fudge cake a la mode. If we were there for dinner it was fried clams and fries. My that was a very long time ago, but a nice memory. If you went  to Howies, what was your favorite ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 Yes! I used to order the fried clams and the NE clam chowder every time! I still think about them sometimes. Don't judge.

Honored Contributor

Re: Howard Johnson

[ Edited ]

Loved that clam roll and their pistachio ice cream!!

Respected Contributor

When I was a child and we went on a family trip we would often stop at Howard Johnson’s.  It was my favorite place to stop.  I don’t remember the strawberry shortcake but I do remember getting either the fried clams or the chicken pot pie. 

Valued Contributor

Pistachio ice cream cone 😋😛😋

Trusted Contributor

Hot Turkey Sandwich with gravy and mashed potatoes

Red Velvet Cake

Respected Contributor

I worked as a hostess at HoJo's while in college so I have eaten a lot their food.  I was dating one of the cooks and he would make me just about anything I wanted for my dinner break.  I was never a fan of the fried clams.  Every Sunday the special was roast beef and I would have a hot open face roast beef sandwich- yum!

Esteemed Contributor

In my Jr. and Sr. years in high school 4 friends and I went bowling on Wednesdays after school. We played against kids from other schools.

After bowling we always went to Howard Johnson for the all you could eat fish and fries. I think it was fish/fries/coleslaw and a drink.

This was 1967/68 and I think it was $1.99.

Bowling was 50 cents a game.  We had our own shoes and bowling balls. 

Not exciting, but we had fun.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@QVCkitty1 Yes! I used to order the fried clams and the NE clam chowder every time! I still think about them sometimes. Don't judge.

I would never judge. Was it gourmet fare, no, but I remember it fondly, and I would eat those. Clams today.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

DH still talks about their mac and cheese.  We stayed at the hotels a few times way back when.