Respected Contributor

How to get specialized baby formula in a pinch

According to a Washington Post story I just saw this morning, anyone needing one of the specialized formulas made by Abbott can call 1-800-881-0876.

The FDA warns, however, that the products were made at the Michigan plant  where safety concerns were raised a few months ago and  "carry a risk" of contamination.

Not an appealing option, after reports that a few babies died from contaminated formula from that factory.  However, a pediatrician can perhaps advise on the risk vs. necessity of getting a scarce and very specialized type of formula.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to get specialized baby formula in a pinch

It's also very likely a pediatrician will recommend switching to another formula that is available.   

I've only heard one pediatricians interview about the formula shortage, and she said switching to another formula would be the option she would suggest to concerned mothers of her patients.   

Honored Contributor

No one wants old formula from that plant.  Parents should contact their pediatricians for options.  They shouldn't make their own or use goat milk or add water to formula.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have read  recently that watering down formula to make it last longer is a big NO.

I don't know what parents do whose kids require one of the several very specialized formulas and can't tolerate other forms

A great grandmother in our town put out a request on behalf of  her great grandson for one of those highly specialized versions.  She wants to be contacted in case anyone sees it on a store shelf somewhere.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't take a chance and use formula from the plant that was closed down.

This is such a terrible situation, and I really hope people can find the formula they need soon.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

No one wants old formula from that plant.  Parents should contact their pediatricians for options.  They shouldn't make their own or use goat milk or add water to formula.  

Why would you not make the simple baby formula recipe that's been around for decades, long before the commercial stuff on the shelves.

I remember my grandmother making it. We're all still here.

Respected Contributor

I thought that after an investigation was made no contamination was found from the plant. I read that the company is just waiting for fda approval to resume production of the formula.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter in law just delivered this past Saturday and until I told her a couple of weeks ago, she was unaware of the shortage.  She can't breastfeed.  I suggested to her to have my son buy up some Carnation milk and Karo syrup just in case formula can't be found.  As @Snowpuppy, said, why are the doctors not suggesting the old tried and true, not to mention cheaper way to obtain formula.  When I used it for my three kids, I never heard anything about it not being healthy.  Now, all of a sudden it is?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

The Similac situation was fully investigated by Abbott, The FDA & CDC and tho tragic, the infant deaths were not caused by contaminated formula.

Pediatricians are advising that parents DO NOT make the formula. Years ago, yes, formula was made but we’ve learned a great deal about infant nutrition. There is no iron in home made formula. I worked OB early in my career & public health after. Many children had anemia & today we don’t generally see that in healthy children. Also, for some reason, environmental?? Children seem to have more allergies. Formulas are very specific to the child & changing them isn’t that easy.

There are also sick children out there who are tube fed or fed by pump; this is their only source of nutrition.

Some women can’t breast fed for a variety of reasons and some babies do not take to breast feeding or do well, especially preemies. For some it’s a matter of choice to bottle feed their children & their choices should be respected

It’s not a matter of making a formula or breast feeding; the matter is that in a rich, civilized and rich country, it shouldn’t happen & this could have been resolved early on before it became urgent. If

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Carnation evaporated milk, Karo, and water will not meet the nutritional requirements for brain, muscle, tissue, and bone health in an infant.  I do not think any pediatrician will be recommending this formula!   

Yes, many of us who were given this formula as infants are still here, but we know so much more about nutritional requirements for infants and toddlers today than when I was born in 1955.  This is so much bigger than filling an empty belly.  

Looking back, I was a bit underweight when I started school; we had plenty of food and I was not a picky eater, I don't think I was getting enough of the right vitamins and minerals.  

I spent a lot of my childhood in the dentists chair, as I did not inherit great teeth from my parents, who were also nutritionally challenged from their own generational circumstances.   Fluoride in our drinking water would have made a difference, as well as better milk.  I hated fresh cows milk!

And then there's my food allergies and intolerances, which have been a pain my entire life, but were not diagnosed until my early 30's.   My parents just thought I had a sensitive stomach, like my mom, since all of my issues just kept me in the outhouse.  I'm 66 years old and still never touch OJ or any citrus fruit.  All of this still goes back to my early years of development, and what I was given for nutritional support.   

If I had grandchildren, I would want to know their whole body nutritional health was addressed with the best options available, not something that just fills their belly!