Respected Contributor

I have developed a system that has worked for me thru the years & have improved on it as far as a cleaning schedule that gives me so much more free time & also suits my needs. I have a Daily Routine & a planner where I  also check off my added daily tasks. It works for me. You can't clean clutter! Yes, there are systems on youtube as far as storing with with containers, bins, drawer organizers etc. some of you might want to take a look at Clutterbug video's or Do it on a Dime if you are on a strict budget. You can get so many supplies for organizing at the dollar store, dollar general or walmart. Yes, I am very organized, with my pantry, kitchen, office, bathrooms etc. I feel so at ease being organized if not I would be overwhelmed.

Respected Contributor

@Tuppermore I hope your doing well. I am glad the Flylady system works for you. 15 minutes YES! 

Esteemed Contributor

I am semi organized.  I like things to be labeled and put away and I often use the 15 minute system to address a cleaning job or paperwork mess.  Paperwork overwhelms me since I have a lot of it.  Laundry is no longer done daily in my home.  Dishes are done daily.  I am a person that must have some downtime or relaxing time to function properly so I often have things that don’t get done😕

Purging is a great help to me and I am slow but steady with that.  

I use a yearly calendar in book form and lots of post it notes.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How organized are you?

[ Edited ]

One very helpful tip that I have not yet seen here was given to me by a colleague decades ago. I used it with my family, including young children, and still use it today: never go up or down the stairs empty handed! This includes the upper floor of your home and the basement, if these apply. I always have a basket on the stairs to corral miscellaneous objects for my next trip up or down. Today I also have a couple of things in a designated area of the kitchen to go down to the basement.

Of course, never carry more than you can manage safely in one trip. Use a basket or tote so you have a hand free to hold the handrail.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

All great ideas here, but if I had to choose one that really keeps my life in order, it's lists.  

I make a menu every week and from the menu,  create a shopping list. I have an app on my phone called "Clear", which I highly recommend.  I have lists for all the stores I visit regularly.  There's no guesswork. If I find myself at Walmart, I check the list: 

IMG_2345.jpg

I have lists called "Do Today", "School Supplies", "Books to Read", etc.  There's no limit to how many you can make and you can drag and drop the items and lists according to priority.  I organize my grocery list according to the store where I'll be shopping - makes it much less likely to forget anything or spend time backtracking.

My menu is on a white board hanging on the side of my fridge.  I also have a white board that lists the contents of my freezer, so I don't wind up with something sitting there forgotten for months.

Years ago, my DH would make fun of me for my lists.  Now he's more likely to ask me to make him a list for one thing or another.

Also, if you have an iPhone all you need to do is hold down the home button and say, "Set a reminder to call the vet tomorrow at 1 pm" and bam! It's done!  Your phone will remind you the next day, every day, every month... whatever you choose.

I agree with all the other things mentioned on this thread, but I'd be absolutely lost without my lists.

And one more thing that may not have been mentioned - go paperless whenever possible.  My bills are on autopay, so I never have to think about being late and if I ever need a copy of anything it's simple to print out what I need.  Pretty much all of our mail goes directly to the recycle bin or shredding bin.  

~ house cat ~
Regular Contributor

@threecees wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

All I see is a huge carbon footprint w/ all those paper towels

and plastic bottles. 

@sidsmom Don't look then. 

You should expect that type of response given you have such an excess of stuff. I personally don't understand why people stock up so much. None of us need to shelter ourselves in a bunker anytime soon. Just because things are on sale or clearance doesn't mean they need to be bought. I see those extreme couponing shows and these people buy all this stuff just for themselves. I hope they are donating and helping others out.
Honored Contributor

I am very organized but at times I think it can become obsessive. Often times people who are extremely organized are trying to control something in their lives that they can because the rest of it isn't.

My husband is not at all organized yet he pretty much knows where everything is. I have had arguments with him about his "stuff" and streamlining some of it but he isn't into "clutter control." LOL

I once read that some of the most gifted and creative people don't worry about being organized. I found that interesting because it describes my husband to a t.

Respected Contributor

I’m not organized like some on here but I am working at decluttering. However, summertime is not a good time for me to do inside projects. I do all the weeding at our house and there’s quite a bit of it. I do the power washing of front walkway, front porch, railing that goes around porch, pool area, windows, etc. Dh does all the mowing and trimming- we live on 10 acres, 6 of which gets mowed/trimmed. It’s a commitment trying to keep up.

In addition, summertime is trail riding time. Too much fun to be had to spend time working indoors. When it’s really cold here I’ll get more done inside. Eventually I’ll have the inside decluttered completely. I figured it would take me quite a while but I’ve made some progress and I knew it was not going to happen overnight.

Honored Contributor

@threecees @If you were my neighbor I would never go to the store...just shop your pantry... very impressive supply.