Regular Contributor

I try to be organized but here’s my problem. I get caught up with things—housework,

paying bills, not missing birthdays(even if it’s just sending a card), laundry, yard work,

basically all the chores/daily living tasks that we do. Then I “relax” for a couple days

and here I go all over again..............is it me or do others do this’s?😬

Esteemed Contributor

As soon as I'm done with it, I put it back in its place.

Honored Contributor

I'm a minimalist. So for me when there are fewer things to get organized then it's much, much easier that way...make do, or do without. 

Esteemed Contributor

With 2 kids still in the house, a hubby and a dog, it sure is

difficult to be as organized in my home as I would like to

be. Even with a garage it seems the more space you have

the more you will fill.

I have cleaned out 2 homes in the past 3 years of family

members that have passed away and that was hard work.

Cleaning out mounds of old paperwork, clothes from

decades ago, clutter that just piles up over time is

absolutely overwhelming. Blows your mind.

It surely made me start getting my own home in much 

better, organized shape. I use my free time to tidy up

as much as I can on a daily basis. Multiple trips to 

Goodwill throughout the year are made. Kids outgrow

so much and doing yard sales are a tough way to make

a couple bucks.

I feel if I can't use it, sell it for a decent price, or don't like

it,  just donate it. It is just taking up space that you can use

for something else you need.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal 

1).      I used to cut out items and store in folders but never went back to the folders.  Now, I take a photo of it with my iPad and use the colors to highlight things or just “ category “ and save it to Photos.  Easy to delete when I no longer care about the item.

2).     Coupons:  I use a small snap case that was designed for photos and place similar coupons in their own section.  I circle or print the expiration date on each so I don’t lose out on the savings.  This goes into my car console so I have it when out.   I also clip coupons for friends who have special interests or a favorite restaurant.

3).     Donate items:  I keep a crate in my car trunk and as soon as something is donate designated, in it goes.  Canned goods for the food bank go into a smaller carry case.  So, when I go by a drop off place while out on errands, I drop these items off.

4).     As for birthdays and other dates that I want to remember, I put them in Calendar Creator and add the icon “ cake “, “ cross “, “ wedding rings “, or “ star “.  The program will carry the items forward for however many years you determine.  Then, I print the calendar annually on the blank reverse side of recycled paper.  I use the horizontal 7-days / week format and place the pages in a binder that stays open on my desk on a slanted holder.

5).     For clothing, shoes and accessories:  I keep to a few basic colors with one neutral.  Makes packing easier and getting ready quicker.   Fewer decisions and everything gets used.  Also, makes shopping easier.

Hope this helps the organization effort !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The less you have, the less time you spend shopping, dollars invested, moving, organizing, counting, repairing, cleaning, discarding.

In other words get rid of the stuff you don’t use, and don’t buy stuff you probably won’t use.  The Japanese did a beautiful job of figuring this out because they simply didn’t have the space to put all the stuff that Americans typically have.

It really is that simple.

Honored Contributor

Re: How organized are you?

[ Edited ]

I’ve been strongly influenced by The SLOB sisters Card System.

In a nutshell:

Assign a task for every day & rotate the cards every week/month/qtr.

Every morning pull your cards.

i.e...every Wednesday I gas up my SUV. I could have a 3/4 or 1/4 tank.

I fill up regardless. 

i.e..every Thursday I dust surfaces. I don’t vacuum, windex or sweep..I just dust surfaces.

i.e..On Friday I’ll sweep, etc.

Just a little bit every day. 

For this focused program, other than the practical application,

it really became a ‘lifesaver’ for me. Back in the early 1990s,

I was in a really dark place & this silly card thing gave me

focus every day.  I can’t recommend it enough. 

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

The less you have, the less time you spend shopping, dollars invested, moving, organizing, counting, repairing, cleaning, discarding.

In other words get rid of the stuff you don’t use, and don’t buy stuff you probably won’t use.  The Japanese did a beautiful job of figuring this out because they simply didn’t have the space to put all the stuff that Americans typically have.

I so agree.

People just overbuy and then have no where to put all this stuff and it just accumulates and accumulates. 

I'm probably going to get knocked for this, but I don't buy cheap ****** just to buy cheap ******.  I buy good stuff and less of it and it has served me well.  I don't need to look in the closet and see 50 tops that were "good buys."  Chances are I'll never wear them more than once or twice anyway.  I'll wind up getting rid of them eventually.

Don't get me wrong - I love a sale and a bargain as much as the next person.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

I so agree.

People just overbuy and then have no where to put all this stuff and it just accumulates and accumulates. 

I'm probably going to get knocked for this, but I don't buy cheap ****** just to buy cheap ******.  I buy good stuff and less of it and it has served me well.  I don't need to look in the closet and see 50 tops that were "good buys."  Chances are I'll never wear them more than once or twice anyway.  I'll wind up getting rid of them eventually.

Don't get me wrong - I love a sale and a bargain as much as the next person.  LOL

I totally agree.  Maybe that's part of the reason I rarely return anything, my purchases are pretty deliberate.

I love a sale too, but chances are, I will buy a piece I love/need that is full price(knowing I'll get a lot of value out of it) rather than waiting for a sale that may not come/may not have my size left. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I'm extremely organized.  If I don't have a place for it, I don't buy it.

When I open a drawer or a closet, I want to see and know what's exactly there.  I don't want to dig through stuff to find anything.  

I don't keep junk out on the counters and tables.  It gets put away right away.  If I see papers or mail piling up on my desk, it makes me very annoyed.  I try not to let those things get out of hand.

Laundry and clothes tend to get out of hand at my house.  Not letting it pile up and putting away as soon as I can helps.  

The Container Store knows me by name.  LOL

@Bri369 - The Container Store knows me by name also!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?