Honored Contributor

If your one-car garage is as small as mine, I think $15 - $20 is more than enough.  It takes me about five minutes to sweep it out.

Honored Contributor

@CherryHugsSounds as if you want more than just a simple sweep of the floor when you say top to bottom --  if I'm reading you right, that could take a quite a while, especially if you want any reorganizing done or even some trashing.

I'd want to be generous for that job.  It doesn't require great skill, but still.  

I can't say what amount is generous where you live -  I assume that varies a great deal depending upon neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

@Travone wrote:

Call your local religious school.  They may have students that will do it for free for "charity credits".    Or call your local boy scout troop.  They also often do things around the house for people who are unable.

That's a good idea if you can't pay someone a fair price for doing the job, but if you can afford it, give someone who needs the money a chance to earn something.

Honored Contributor

Re: How much to pay?

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs  Amazing timing!

One of my neighbors asked if my 13 year old would be willing to sweep out her 1 car garage. It's not huge (a large SVU or mini van will NOT fit into it). He would have to move a few things to the side to clean (lawnmower, rake, snow shovel) and that's it. Her offer was $10. I thought that was plenty.

My 19 year old popped in between class and work and I mentioned the little job to him. "I'll do it! That's gas money!" and off he went. About 20 minutes later he returned with ten dollars in his pocket.

Easy job, won't take long. $10 -$15 is PLENTY.

IMHO, I think we pay way too much for little jobs that require no skill but elbow grease. That ten bucks is more than he makes in an hour at his part time job; to say he was grateful would be an understatement.

Respected Contributor

Pay a teenager $25

Honored Contributor
Sounds like a job a high school student could do for community service credit for National Honor Society. Call your local HS and ask them. Also, if you go on the NextDoor app and join, you can post what you need done and you will prob have several who offer to do the job for you...free or for a small fee.
Respected Contributor

Re: How much to pay?

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr 

I agree.   We had a 2 car garage and it didn't take me 20 minutes to sweep it and put the mess in a bag.  No way anything over $15 for a one car garage unless they are going to move everything out, sweep and bring everything back in.

Trusted Contributor

If I was your neighbor I would do what ever you needed done....for free. 

It is tough I know.

I have back and neck issues and I don't know your particular situation but I bought a small lightweight cordless blower as I can't sweep anymore.  Got it on Amazon.  It came with battery and charger.   I can't explain why the blower does not bother me but it works for me.  The blower was about $60 and has been well worth the cost.  The charge lasts long enough for me to do my small deck and out front by the cars.  I don't currently have a garage but when I did the blower I had then (electric) worked great.  

Honored Contributor

It will take a while since it is webby and dusty. But there is nothing at all to move, I dont store anything in there! Thank you so much for your replies and the great thoughts and suggestions!Woman Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller