Honored Contributor

Re: How much space to you need vs want

@tansy wrote:

I like a well-designed small home.

This would be my choice also.

Regular Contributor

We bought this house in 96.  It's a 4 bedroom 2 full bath at a little under 1600 square feet.  It felt the right size to raise our 2 kids and when they moved out it felt even bigger.  We made a guest room, a game room for our grandchild and the cats got the other room.  Flash forward to now.  Our son, his wife and our grand daughter moved in.  They got the cat room, it is the biggest out of the extra rooms and the game room and the cats and all my other stuff got moved into the tiny room.  it feels so cramped now and wish we had a bigger house but hoping they will move out in the near furture.  Then we can get back to my husband and I and our 2 kitties.  

The cats get their own room for when they need to decompress and take naps on their cat condo.  Other then that they rule the house.  

Honored Contributor

When we built our cottage we built it as a smaller second home. But now that we changed our minds, retired and moved here full time, I could have used more space! Presently ours is 1,500 sq ft. I would love to have had it 2,000 sq ft. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Or home of 26 years is about 1500 square feet.  Built in 1980... it has a very small kitchen.... very small bathrooms and bedrooms. I can not imagine anything smaller.

Today people want huge bedrooms bathrooms and kitchens.  It is what I would like, but, moving is too much work so I will deal with my small rooms......

Respected Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

I am in the minority here.  It's just my husband and me living in our house now.  It is about 4000 sq. feet and I would have no problem going bigger.  Maybe it's beause we're blessed with good health right now and can take care of it and the property. I feel if you want it and can afford it, go for it...you only live once. (I would love another room for all our grandkids' stuff.  It seems to permeate everywhere!)

It is the same for us. We bought our dream home six years ago and it is 4200 square feet and we love it!!! We don't have grand children but we do have a great niece and her toys go in the storage room downstairs when she is not here. Love having so much space!!

Honored Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

This is a picture of my tiny house. It’s about 750 square feet. Each floor consists of one room with the exception of the second floor which has a bathroom and tiny bedroom. The floors are connected by built in spiral stairs. This type of house is called a trinity here in Philadelphia. I love my house but often bemoan the lack of storage space.

ED46F15A-7FB2-4BDE-A9E1-E15B0E9A24CC.jpeg

@Jasmine19    So cute and pretty.... but oh so small!

Esteemed Contributor

I think we have 1500 or so sq. ft.  Would prefer a little more space, no more than 2500, but on one floor.  I don't get bedrooms and bathrooms with so much space when, even with furniture, you could hold a square dance in the middle of the room.  How many people are in those bathrooms at one time you need that much room,there are only a few things you can do in a bathroom.

DH's cousin and his DW were going to build a new house. Both were in their late 60s. He wanted a 9,500 sq. ft., not a typo, house. Their kids don't like it here and they go to FL 1/2 the year. When I asked DH if his cousin bonked his head he said the cousin was trying to keep up with his BIL who has money up the wazoo. Luckily the guy's wife won and they built a really nice place with a lot less than 9,500 sq. ft.

Respected Contributor

@Jasmine19 

What a lovely house !  How lucky you are.  Looks like Old City, of course I don't expect or want your confirmation about that, too personal to reveal, but I think I know what I am looking at.  Historical, too.

From my nickname, you can see I am from Philadelphia.  Lived most of my over 6 decades in a Philly row house, in the same neighborhood that my parents eventually ended up in shortly after WWII.  hahaha - certainly not like your house. I think the only commonality we have is the smallness and lack of storage space.  People just didn't have that much stuff back when these houses were built.

Heart

Honored Contributor

I moved from a four bedroom house into a one bedroom apartment.  

I prefer the apartment.  I've been here about 24 years.  I keep "reorganizing" ... one day I'll get it right.  

Honored Contributor

Dh and I live in about 1800 sq ft. 3 bedroom and 2.5 baths, two story.  I think I could go a tad smaller but dh does not think so.  Our dining room and living room are pass thru rooms, but that is how homes were built in the 70's....we rarely use the rooms.

We do have a 3 season room that we enjoy in the summer and early fall, no heat or air but look forward to getting out there every spring.  I'd love to move, to a one floor home, and maybe 1500 sq ft. but I know that is not going to happen.