Respected Contributor

Re: How much snow do you have as of mid-day 1/22/16?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

We had a huge blizzard in Pittsburgh in 1993 - I was already at work when it started so , since we did not get relieved we had to stay and continue working - I was there from Friday evening at 7PM until monday morning at 9 AM. No one came in to relieve us and we took catnaps as we were able but basically worked continuously for 64 hours. At least in a hospital we could take a shower and put on clean scrubs each day - I always had a spare set of clothes including underwear & socks in my locker in case anyone threw up or bled all over me so I was better off than most. And they did provide food for us as well. in the end they paid us all triple time from midnight Friday until we got relieved. It was a nice bonus.

I remember that storm very well.  I worked in a hospital as well, they left all non essential personnel go at 2:30pm.  However, that was too late.  Traffic was total grid lock and my usual 40 minute commute took 5 hours.

I was thankful I had a full tank of gas.

When I finally made it into my driveway, the snow was up to my bumper.  I  left the car and walked up the 700 feet to the house.  I then went out and shoveled off my elevated deck.

Anyway, the snow hasn't started here yet. (3:00pm)  We are about 30 miles NE of Pittsburgh.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

8" (at least) here in Nashville at 2 pm. Pretty.....but I'm already ready for it to go away. 

I agree!  But it's still snowing! Smiley Sad

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Be safe out there. If shoveling snow take breaks, it doesn't have to get done all at once. No snow yet to LI but the clouds are here.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I was working 11-7 shift in the local hospital also during the blizzard of 1993.   At 2 a.m., Security told me it was starting to snow, and by 7 a.m., the snow was almost to my knees.

The employee who relieved me was brought to work by her husband in his big company work truck.  My vehicle at that time was a 4 wheel drive Mercury Topaz, and my co-worker told me the snow was almost up to my bumper, and she didn't think I would make it home.   I told her I was darn sure going to try, and that I would call her as soon as I got home, but if I hadn't called her back within 45 minutes, for her to call my husband and tell him he might need to come looking for me.   

I cleaned my car off with the broom I had put in my backseat, put it in 4 wheel drive, and took off.   Another hospital employee in a 2 wheel drive pickup pulled out of the parking lot behind me, and followed in my tracks for 3 miles, until I turned off.   I had my foot steady on the gas, and just kept moving, pushing snow out of my way.   

No one had been out of my neighborhood, but me and my Mercury were plowing thru, as I was determined I was getting home.   My mom was standing at her kitchen window, so worried that I would be stuck somewhere in my little car.  While she was looking out, she noticed snow flying up in the air on the knoll above our houses, and was so happy thinking the state road was out plowing the road already!  As she stood there watching for the big truck, I topped over the knoll in my little gray car pushing snow like you wouldn't believe.  I made it to my driveway, and was just able to get far enough in it to be safely out of the road, when I had to stop.   My driveway is on a slope, and my car was unable to push that many inches of heavy snow uphill to my parking spot.   I got out of my car, waved to my mom, then trudged to the house to call my co-worker.

The 2 employees in my department who were scheduled for later shifts that day, were called to come in immediately, and those 3 employees covered our department round the clock until Monday morning. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have lots of rain today, yes, in Northern California but no snow.

Super Contributor

I'm on the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border and, thankfully, we are going to miss this storm completely.  After last winter, which was literally the worst in recorded history, I am very thankful that, so far, this winter has been quite tame.  Of course, it's only January and that could change in a hurry!

I hope everyone in the D.C. area makes it through the blizzard of 2016 safe and sound.

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Preds wrote:

No blizzard here @Citrine1.  Heavy at times, windy, but mostly just pretty ... if you like snow. Smiley Happy

Oh, thanks for your quick reply @Preds.

I DO like snow and I love to sit and look out the window as it's falling.  It's so peaceful, calming and beautiful.  I don't like it, however, when there are wind gusts and huge drifts.  

My dog is ten months old and this will be his first experience with snow.  Hahaha.  I know he's going to love it, so I'm hoping on Sunday, when the storm's over, I can take him out to play.

Hope your conditions don't get too bad!  Stay safe.  

Don't you HAVE TO take him out between now and sunday to go to the bathroom?

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We had a huge blizzard in Pittsburgh in 1993 - I was already at work when it started so , since we did not get relieved we had to stay and continue working - I was there from Friday evening at 7PM until monday morning at 9 AM. No one came in to relieve us and we took catnaps as we were able but basically worked continuously for 64 hours. At least in a hospital we could take a shower and put on clean scrubs each day - I always had a spare set of clothes including underwear & socks in my locker in case anyone threw up or bled all over me so I was better off than most. And they did provide food for us as well. in the end they paid us all triple time from midnight Friday until we got relieved. It was a nice bonus.

I remember that storm very well.  I worked in a hospital as well, they left all non essential personnel go at 2:30pm.  However, that was too late.  Traffic was total grid lock and my usual 40 minute commute took 5 hours.

When I finally made it into my driveway, the snow was up to my bumper.  I  left the car and walked up the 700 feet to the house.  I then went out and shoveled off my elevated deck.

Anyway, the snow hasn't started here yet. (3:00pm)  We are about 30 miles NE of Pittsburgh.

OMG - i grew up in Dorseyville.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Our next door neighbor tried to pull into his driveway and instead ended up sideways across the middle of ours.When I finally got home Monday morning I could not get in the driveway so I parked it in the front yard - I was much to tired to care!

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Preds wrote:

No blizzard here @Citrine1.  Heavy at times, windy, but mostly just pretty ... if you like snow. Smiley Happy

Oh, thanks for your quick reply @Preds.

I DO like snow and I love to sit and look out the window as it's falling.  It's so peaceful, calming and beautiful.  I don't like it, however, when there are wind gusts and huge drifts.  

My dog is ten months old and this will be his first experience with snow.  Hahaha.  I know he's going to love it, so I'm hoping on Sunday, when the storm's over, I can take him out to play.

Hope your conditions don't get too bad!  Stay safe.  

Don't you HAVE TO take him out between now and sunday to go to the bathroom?

It started snowing around 7 last night.  The first time I let him out to go to the bathroom he went nuts running around the yard, jumping in the air, etc.  Hahaha  So, yes, of course I have to let him out for that reason, but I was saying that when the storm finally stops, I can take him out to play.  We have a big field across the street that he can run and frolic in.