Contributor

Re: How much does luck have to do with success?

"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity"

Vince Lombardo

Honored Contributor

Success is not defined by money.

This depends upon who is defining the definition of success.

Super Contributor

I think hard work has to do with success.  People always say I am lucky to have a good job.. luck has nothing to do with it.  Getting up everyday for 25 years and giving it 💯 %, that is why I am successful. Maybe lucky to have parents who instilled a work ethic . I don't know 🤔 

Super Contributor

I made my own luck and became successful with ambition, perserverance, and planning ahead.  

Contributor

Luck, kharma??  I believe everything happens for a reason and circumstances play a big part.   Luck with a job?  You may get hired but if  you don't "prove yourself"  so much for luck.

Respected Contributor

Being successful has to do with making the right choices.

It has to do with pushing for your work and abilities to be seen by the right people without being seen as aggressive.

It has to do engaging with the right people to achieve your goals.

It has to do with being smooth on the outside and a killer on the inside.

It has to do with some luck connecting to sources at the right time.

You make your own luck happen.

It comes to choice and consequence and nerve to do so, only answering to/for yourself.

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@esmerelda 

I agree.  I had to fight like hell to get where I ended up in the workplace . . . 40 years!!  That didn’t make me very popular some of the time . . . But I am now 81 and still supporting myself!

Aren't you kind of supporting the luck does lead to success side?

People who are lucky don't have to work like hell to get where they ended up.  Less effort, more luck.

Nothing beats knowing the right people. Of course, cozying up to these people can be a lot of effort. But, the payoff is big. 

I never “cozied up” to anyone, ever.  I was never an AK. I never had to be, because they had no interest in what I was doing or learning how to do it themselves. They gave me complete free rein, which was fine with me. When the program was ready, I showed them what number to put in what box.  That was it.

Right. So, what's your point? I said luck and cozying up make it easier. Both those things mean you don't have to work like hell, as you put it, to succeed. 

GEEZ, sorry for my post!  I obviously hit a hot button

G

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

This thread has gone down the rabbit hole, run the maze, and jumped the shark.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant thank you for your explanation. I believe it was sincere and from the heart. Your countenance tells me you strive to walk the talk. I really do wish you a peaceful evening.

Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

@jubilant thank you for your explanation. I believe it was sincere and from the heart. Your countenance tells me you strive to walk the talk. I really do wish you a peaceful evening.

@bathina

You're welcome.  I  wish you a peaceful evening also.