Honored Contributor

Re: How much does luck have to do with success?

Hard work is surely important, but I agree, the luck of the draw is a bigger factor in what makes or breaks it for most people. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I think it depends on your meaning of success. Some think having a lot of money spells success and others may think having a family and great kids makes for success. Others may think early retirement and getting to do what you wish with your time after a certain age makes you a success. Just too many variables to answer with clarity.

Honored Contributor

That's a pointless question.  The answer varies for every human on the planet.  My answer is you will never have any luck if you don't make most of it.  Don't sit around and whine and be a victim and wait for your luck to change or your ship to come in.  

Honored Contributor

I think luck plays a huge role.  If the person though doesn't have what it takes, their success may be limited or short lived.

Trusted Contributor

Just an observation from an old lady who has been around the block and seen more than most:  People born into privilege tend to downplay that "head start" in life and attribute their success to their own "hard work."  I say this as a person who was not born into money, social status or anything other than motivation.  I watched the people who had a leg up (or two) around me as I  sought out advanced education and learned how to move up.  I was lucky enough to find mentors who helped me succeed.  That's how I managed to do well; I got help to make up for the lack of being born into the benefits that contribute to the likelihood of success.

Rather than patting myself on the back for my hard work, I'm thankful to all the people who saw my motivation and preparation and lent me a hand.  It might not have happened without them.

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@esmerelda 

I agree.  I had to fight like hell to get where I ended up in the workplace . . . 40 years!!  That didn’t make me very popular some of the time . . . But I am now 81 and still supporting myself!

Aren't you kind of supporting the luck does lead to success side?

People who are lucky don't have to work like hell to get where they ended up.  Less effort, more luck.

Nothing beats knowing the right people. Of course, cozying up to these people can be a lot of effort. But, the payoff is big. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, some of us were “lucky” with great families, super educations, etc., but we also created a lot of our own “opportunities” and “luck”—vs. simply being in the right place at the right time. So, it’s both. I always say I was soooo lucky to have the parents and background that I had, but my husband and I in our individual careers worked long days and often six-day weeks, and we saved and invested for decades. Some did not and regret it now. Were we lucky or smart? Both, I would say.  

Honored Contributor

Probably should have done more with my education, but I've never carried a lot of debt and I'm quite happy. So much comes down to good decision making, and I've been successful at that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Success is not defined by money.
Respected Contributor

People often remark that I’m pretty lucky. Luck is only important in so far as getting the chance to sell yourself at the right moment. After that, you’ve got to have talent and know how to use it – Frank Sinatra