Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Not too choosy, not too cheap, just thankful here for food and someone to bring it to me.  How could you be otherwise now?  

Most of the world would be delighted to live the way we live with our without exactly what they want. 

True, but I don't live in any other part of the world. I live in the United States. 

Yes, I am thankful I don't have to go out and buy my groceries...or send my nephew to do so since I really can't. However, when one asks for thighs - regardless of whether or not they're boneless and skinless - I would rather NOT get any other meat than what I ask for. There's a reason for this, which, apparently, just isn't being understood by some. 

Honored Contributor

While I much prefer to pick my own groceries, I'm not doing so now and for some time. We choose to give a 15 percent tip.

I'm very explicit but brief in my instructions and substitutes. The shoppers texts us often.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I tipped extravagantly for my Costco InstaCart order a while back.  The store is about 25 minutes from my house, the shopper did a great job and I was ecstatic to get food and supplies that we like.  It was expensive enough though that I haven't done a repeat order.

Respected Contributor

Re: WalMart no tipping policy. 

After our 1st time, seeing how well they did (printout of what wasn't available, offering substitutes) and the promptness, friendliness and good produce & meats they chose, we began surreptitiously tipping out of camera range and told the associate if his/her boss has problems that threaten your job, to have him/her call us.  (We're both in late 60's, heart condition and stroke - otherwise I'd LOVE to choose my own groceries. )

It's even easier now as we stay in the car through the procedure.  DH opens the liftgate where we have a plastic tub to put fragile items such as eggs.  We place the sanitized money in a small plastic bag with a note:  "Thank you!  This is not a tip, it's hazard pay! " And tell whomever it's for them.  Luckily more than half the time we have the same older guy & he's wonderful.  Always greets & jokes with us even when training someone.

Oh, and we always give a good review of associate for their records, too.

We've also begun using Instacart for Aldi & Publix - also good results.  Publix just ticked us off for charging a $2.99 "alcohol" fee for a 6-pack of beer (on top of their raised prices and other charges).

Sorry so long.

Denise
Honored Contributor

Instacart puts the tip in automatically but if it's above average I'll add more after delivery so I'm not sure percentage wise what it is. 

Respected Contributor

@Sushismom 

I'm a solid 20%'er, if the service is beyond expectations then I tip 25%.

Honored Contributor

@songbird

I too have had excellent service with them.  It is a little pricey with service charge and the other fee and tip.  But oh well, they are out there doing battle on front lines.  People are doing this to work, and I support it.  Each time I got everything I asked for.  At Costco a couple things weren't online, but I wrote them in....and they got them.  I checked 11-1pm delivery and they are always at my house early.  I give the 15% tip and slip them 10 bucks cash when they come