Trusted Contributor

Re: How much do you pay a sleepover dog sitter?

Make sure you keep calling to check in. I hired what I thought was a sweet young gal who worked at the veterinarian’s office and whispered to me that I was not getting what I paying for when I boarded my pet. I always paid for the big cage even though it was a small animal so he would have more space. She told me they took my money for the big cage but put in the smallest cage and that the little ones rarely even got taken out – it broke my heart. She told me she is a pet sitter on the side, so I hired her to stay at my condo when I had to go on business trips. I called home to check on how it was going and she was great about it…at first. Then she got testy about it saying she was entitled to have a social life and that it was her private time. Well, I found out that once she got established with a customer, she no longer actually stayed. She would drop by, pick up the money I left on the counter and put out a big bowl of food and water and leave. Then she would come by just before I was due home and clean up and put out fresh food & water. The poor animal was abandoned and stressed the whole time I was gone. She was a THIEF (and an animal abuser, in my opinion) - she took my money, then tried to guilt me into not calling so I would discover her total absence from my home. Once I figured it out and confronted her, she lied. When she finally realized I had caught her, she became angry and mean. I had to find a new vet because I was afraid she might hurt my pet out of revenge if she had the chance. It was a bad experience.

If your sitter is bothered by the fact that you call because you care how it is going for both the sitter and the pet, I would conclude the sitter is not the animal lover you would like sitting with your pet. If it is all about the money, find a new pet sitter who appreciates your love for your pet.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Super Contributor

Honestly with his attitude, I wouldn't feel comfortable using him. We always board our dog, she is a veterinarian and does boarding also. I feel completely comfortable that my dog is cared for and safe. It's $20 a day.

Super Contributor

It sounds like you've already told him you'll be finding someone else so I won't respond to the question of what you should do. I just wanted to say that I can see both sides of the issue here.

I would be checking on my pets too no matter how much I trusted the sitter. I think it's great that you stock his favorite foods and make it easy for him to feed the dogs, and that he doesn't have to walk them. It's true that technically he may have to "do" very little, but the responsibility is still on his shoulders no matter what he has to physically do. That's a big thing IMO. If it's not about the money for you and you think it's worth whatever it costs to keep your dogs well cared for, maybe he just thinks you should've thought that was worth more than $25. Maybe that's where his attitude stems from. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

I agree with whoever said that at his age, his time may be worth more to him than $25 or $30. That amount of money in today's world really isn't much to most people. And please don't judge a young person just b/c they are still living at home. Today that is very common, just b/c everything costs so much and jobs are hard to come by in some areas. I don't know this young man or what his circumstances are, he may well be a bum freeloading off his parents with nothing better to do than sit around every evening. But that's not the case for everyone his age. It may be just the opposite. If he has a full time job and has to be at your house right after work every day to feed the dogs, a young person could find that very restricting to their schedule and social life.

I have a hunch that neither of you came off in a very positive way to the other when this was discussed. You both probably walked away miffed at what the other said and how it was said. I'm just trying to offer a view from both sides.

Just my 2¢.

Respected Contributor

Of course he has an attitude. He's underpaid, and it makes him resentful. If you appreciate people you employ, you have to treat them right. Then they'll do the best job for you. Even $30 isn't enough. Compare what you pay him to what you would pay to have the dogs boarded. If you can afford to travel, you can afford to pay him what the work is worth. (The fact that you consider it easy work and he lives at home has nothing to do with this.)

As for the micromanaging, I understand that. He's relatively young and doesn't like to feel people are watching everything he does. You probably worry about the dogs and want to hear every day how they are doing. Could you call less? If you pay him fairly, he might be willing to call you every couple of days or so. Tell him you worry about your dear dogs and that you are not micromanaging.

I pay $20-25 for one visit to feed one small dog and let him out to do his business.

Super Contributor

Forgot to add to my comment above that I pay a petsitter $13 for a 15 min. visit to allow my dogs to do their business during the day. I suppose that's why I think $25-30 for an overnight stay is very low.

Respected Contributor

I found a great place to board my dog. Recently, I dropped her off at 10 am on Saturday and picked her up at 4 pm on Sunday. The boarding facility is staffed 24/7. My dog had her 3 meals a day, was walked and had lots of "buddies" to play with. The staff is wonderful. They knew her name the second time we showed up for day camp.

The place is squeaky clean and set up so cute. They have corrals for different stages of a dog's life or if the dog is aggressive. County-style. Low white fences where we can see them. They are not crated and have free roam. Only a certain number allowed per section. My fur baby was stationed up front in the reception area (enclosed) with other critters of a certain age. She got to see all the arrivals and departures. When I picked her up, she was spooning with a one-eyed chihuachua who has become her best buddy. It's cute to see then greet each other.

I paid a total of $50.50 incl tip. Has a 5-star rating. Found them on Angie's List.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Super Contributor

I haven't needed a dog sitter (yet) but here's my opinion for what it's worth:

1) $25 is not enough for overnight even if things are already pretty much taken care of.

2) I would not like this young man to be a sitter for my dogs if he doesn't understand the difference between loving, caring pet parents who want to check in every day and "micro-managing." That alone speaks volumes.

Honored Contributor

On 6/29/2014 Havarti said:

Make sure you keep calling to check in.I hired what I thought was a sweet young gal who worked at the veterinarian’s office and whispered to me that I was not getting what I paying for when I boarded my pet. I always paid for the big cage even though it was a small animal so he would have more space. She told me they took my money for the big cage but put in the smallest cage and that the little ones rarely even got taken out – it broke my heart. She told me she is a pet sitter on the side, so I hired her to stay at my condo when I had to go on business trips. I called home to check on how it was going and she was great about it…at first. Then she got testy about it saying she was entitled to have a social life and that it was her private time. Well, I found out that once she got established with a customer, she no longer actually stayed. She would drop by, pick up the money I left on the counter and put out a big bowl of food and water and leave. Then she would come by just before I was due home and clean up and put out fresh food & water. The poor animal was abandoned and stressed the whole time I was gone. She was a THIEF (and an animal abuser, in my opinion)- she took my money, then tried to guilt me into not calling so I would discover her total absence from my home. Once I figured it out and confronted her, she lied. When she finally realized I had caught her, she became angry and mean. I had to find a new vet because I was afraid she might hurt my pet out of revenge if she had the chance. It was a bad experience.

If your sitter is bothered by the fact that you call because you care how it is going for both the sitter and the pet, I would conclude the sitter is not the animal lover you would like sitting with your pet.If it is all about the money, find a new pet sitter who appreciates your love for your pet.

I'd have been suspicious from the beginning since she is badmouthing her employer to you to solicit business. In fact I'd have probably mentioned it to the vet. I sure never would have trusted her with my pets.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval