Honored Contributor

Re: How many times have you fallen in the bathroom?

@Foxxee wrote:

I haven't fallen in or outside the bathroom and don't intend to.  

Falling is rather common in the elderly.  

Doctors tell me it's mostly caused by muscles atrophying due to a sedentary lifestyle.  There are other reasons, some medical, but still they insist seniors sit too much.  

My father began falling.  His doctor sent him to physical therapy.  He stopped falling.  I warned him he'd be returning to PT if he didn't stop sitting in his lounge chair all the time.  I purchased a mini-cycle to exercise his lower torso.  Physical therapy also gave him exercises to do at home.  So far, so good.  

The problem though, seniors often return to sitting after physical therapy.  

A neighbor missed the toilet because of balance issues from sitting too much.  She broke her hip.  She became ornery whenever doctors suggested she go to physical therapy.  This is what happens when seniors become obstinate.  No, she didn't have dementia.

She had surgery, then placed in rehab in a nursing facility.  She died there from Covid-19.  All of this was preventable.  

@Foxxee, there a myiad of causes for seniors to fall, not just from being too sedentary.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

First rule of longevity: If you wish to live a long life, DON'T FALL.

Honored Contributor

My friend who fell is lucky b/c her spouse was there when it happened. It would be a totally different story if I fell. I live alone and getting injured from any kind of fall or other mishap is certainly a serious concern of mine.

Honored Contributor

@MrsSB wrote:

None so far.

I tend to fall in the street or on the sidewalk in full public view. 

@MrsSB.  Ooh, do I identify with you!  I have had two serious falls, both resulting in needing shoulder replacements, both in public.  Nothing scares me more.  I'm convinced a fall is how I will check out of this world.  

I am extremely cautious in the shower.  

Respected Contributor

yes,I did in june.i broke my thumb,and as of today,still isn't feeling normal.i guess better than a hip

Respected Contributor

foxxee,this is a very sad story.this person died of covid?my gosh,I feel so lucky right now.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Doctors tell me it's mostly caused by muscles atrophying due to a sedentary lifestyle.  There are other reasons, some medical, but still they insist seniors sit too much.  

@Foxxee, there a myiad of causes for seniors to fall, not just from being too sedentary.

@suzyQ3 

Didn't I say that?  Looking over what I wrote, yes indeed, I did say that.  

"Doctors tell me it's mostly caused by muscles atrophying due to a sedentary lifestyle. There are other reasons, some medical."

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Falling is rather common in the elderly.  

My father began falling.  His doctor sent him to physical therapy.  He stopped falling.  I warned him he'd be returning to PT if he didn't stop sitting in his lounge chair all the time.  I purchased a mini-cycle to exercise his lower torso.  Physical therapy also gave him exercises to do at home.  So far, so good.  

The problem though, seniors often return to sitting after physical therapy.  

A neighbor missed the toilet because of balance issues from sitting too much.  She broke her hip.  She became ornery whenever doctors suggested she go to physical therapy.  This is what happens when seniors become obstinate.  No, she didn't have dementia.

She had surgery, then placed in rehab in a nursing facility.  She died there from Covid-19.  All of this was preventable.  

@Foxxee Lots of things are preventable from DUI on to viruses.  Sometimes to an older person doing what they decide to do is more important and preferable to a longer life.

I can understand that viewpoint.  And I respect it. 

Trusted Contributor

Slippery tubs and no hand holds is our current situation but I informed my husband I want the hand holds put in and not the ones with the suction cups; which in my opinion should not even be sold to anyone since they obviously will fail at some point.  Slipped in the tub many years ago when rushing in the a.m. before a scheduled work day but stood up  without a broken bone. 

Respected Contributor

I slipped in the tub/shower once after it was new. I did not fall, but almost. I promptly bought a mat to make sure that did not happen again. There are too many hard surfaces and corners in the bathroom to risk a fall in there.

On the other hand, I have fallen outside on my steps a couple of times. I found some nice rubber step covers at Lowes that prevent slipping. I go to the chiro regularly due to chronic pain from old injuries; I don’t need any new ones.