Honored Contributor

How many times have you fallen in the bathroom?

Fallen in the bathroom in the tub, shower anywhere in there? 

I can't remember ever falling in the bathroom. I just got a call from a friend who just came from the ER with stitches from a fall in her tub where she hit her head and gashed it open. I hope that never happens to me! I guess falling in the bathroom is a common place to get injured.

Honored Contributor

Re: How many times have you fallen in the bathroom?

@SilleeMee  At age 73 I can say it has never happened to me. Ever.

Honored Contributor

I hope your friend gets better soon.

We all need to be diligent with anti slip items in the tub and bath as well as grab bars.

The only thing I ever did was lean over quickly to brush my hair over my head.  I came straight down on the corner of my white counter top and gashed my forehead!  Having had first aide and CPR for years, I slapped my palm to my forehead.  Because I did the right thing, they were able to use steri strips, and I didn't have stitches.

Honored Contributor

Yes, falling in the bathroom is common, i have fell twice.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have never fallen in the bathroom.  I have a walk-in shower in the master..no tub.

Now,  if there were steps in there, I probably would have.  I have two bad knees and a depth perception problem.  I have fallen while going up the stairs most of my life.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't fallen in or outside the bathroom and don't intend to.  

Falling is rather common in the elderly.  

Doctors tell me it's mostly caused by muscles atrophying due to a sedentary lifestyle.  There are other reasons, some medical, but still they insist seniors sit too much.  

My father began falling.  His doctor sent him to physical therapy.  He stopped falling.  I warned him he'd be returning to PT if he didn't stop sitting in his lounge chair all the time.  I purchased a mini-cycle to exercise his lower torso.  Physical therapy also gave him exercises to do at home.  So far, so good.  

The problem though, seniors often return to sitting after physical therapy.  

A neighbor missed the toilet because of balance issues from sitting too much.  She broke her hip.  She became ornery whenever doctors suggested she go to physical therapy.  This is what happens when seniors become obstinate.  No, she didn't have dementia.

She had surgery, then placed in rehab in a nursing facility.  She died there from Covid-19.  All of this was preventable.  

Honored Contributor

I've never fallen in the bathroom, knocking on wood.  However, I had a friend who fell, hit her head and was found dead in her bathroom. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes! Definitely keeping up your muscle strength and concentrate on balance is important with any age really. I try to do both. Last time I almost fell was b/c I was trying to avoid stepping on my dog. I caught my balance and saved the day!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Both times i fell in the bathroom,a step stool slide on me,threw that thing away.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

My husband has Alzheimer's. He was clutzy before and now I must watch him like a hawk. Last month he fell in the bathroom twice...in the same spot with the same results. He had a bruise on his back that was humungous. I took pictures of it for our doctor and spoke to her on the phone. Nothing was broken and he healed up but it was a lesson for me. I called in a visiting nurse and then a physical therapist to get some pointers on how to deal with things. He hasn't fallen since (fingers crossed).