Respected Contributor

Re: How many times a day do you feed you cats moist food?

I feed my cats 1 can of food before I go to bed which is usually between 1am - 2am. This avoids the wakeup call. Then, I get up around 9am, run my errands and when I get home they are very hungry of course and wolf down another can. But, then around 9pm they're meowing at me again. They don't want to wait until I go to bed. So, I often times give them a 3rd can.

Super Contributor

found: I very seldom used wet food when I had cats. I found the dry good because as somebody else said they can graze as they want. Don't kid yourself - they may turn their noses up but hunger will take over and that dry food will be filet mignon to them.

My son's male cat hawks up after eating wet food but no problems with the dry. The female actually prefers dry.

Psst- your cats sound spoiled.

Respected Contributor

On 7/17/2014 Cakers1 said:

found: I very seldom used wet food when I had cats. I found the dry good because as somebody else said they can graze as they want. Don't kid yourself - they may turn their noses up but hunger will take over and that dry food will be filet mignon to them.

My son's male cat hawks up after eating wet food but no problems with the dry. The female actually prefers dry.

Psst- your cats sound spoiled.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Yes, they're very spoiled. I just can't stand to hear the meowing over and over and over again. Feeding them is the only thing that stops it. They got me trained good, huh! {#emotions_dlg.mad} The other reason I don't give them just a little portion from the can, is because I don't want to put that stinky stuff in my refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

I have one old lady cat left (18 yrs. old). She's always been the skinnier one of her and her two sisters (gone now). We always fed dry until last year when one of the sisters started losing teeth so we added wet, thinking it would be easier for her to eat. They both liked the wet better so I don't even get the dry anymore. I give our remaining girl a full can of wet food every morning. From the second she sees me she starts nagging so I have to feed her before the dog. She doesn't eat it all at once, she initially gets her fill and then finished later on. The last few days I've been wondering if one can is really enough. This afternoon she started nagging again so I opened another can and she was happy to dive in. It looks like she wants to eat twice a day.

Honored Contributor

I remember reading the book Holistic Cat, she recommended feeding 2x a day and once the cat is finished, removing the bowl. I do this with my "grandkitten" she gets food for breakfast and then at dinner time.

Don't leave the food out all day as it constantly stimulates their appetites and sets up finicky eating behaviour. In the wild food in a ready to eat state is not always available they have to hunt for it.

grandkitten as in my daughters college cat that I now care for

Respected Contributor

I'll have to buy a little mini fridge for the cats.

Honored Contributor

My two share a small can of wet food for dinner but always have a bit of dry food available for nibbling.
Super Contributor

On 7/17/2014 ILikeShade said:
On 7/17/2014 Cakers1 said:

Psst- your cats sound spoiled.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Yes, they're very spoiled. I just can't stand to hear the meowing over and over and over again. Feeding them is the only thing that stops it. They got me trained good, huh! {#emotions_dlg.mad} The other reason I don't give them just a little portion from the can, is because I don't want to put that stinky stuff in my refrigerator.

Ha.

Esteemed Contributor

Zilch.

Honored Contributor

If they don't catch mice, they go to bed hungry.