Valued Contributor

Re: How many pneumonia shots did you get?

I received a pneumonia shot several years ago.  I am over the age of 65 and my doctor recommended I get the Prevnar 13, which I did.  He said that I will never need another pneumonia shot for the rest of my life.  docsgirl

Esteemed Contributor

I get one about every 5 years.  I don't know all the strains it covers,  I trust the doctor to know that. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I am 52 and have never had a pneumonia or a flu shot.  Do not see the need have only had the flu three times in my life 8, 17, and last time at 32 years of age.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I had one about five years ago and I got it at Walgreens ...no charge.We were in inquiring about the shingles shot and they said that would be no charge too.A friend of mine had a shingles shot at the dr office and just about died when she got the 500 dollar charge mailed to her house.That is just crazy so shop around for your meds and vaccines.Costco has about the best prescription prices and we saved a lot of money switching to them.

Respected Contributor

DH and I both have pneumonia  shots from about five hears ago, and got PREVNAR 13 last December. Too many older adults die from pneumonia. I am glad to have had it.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Trusted Contributor

I was recently in the hospital.  They gave me the Prevnar shot before I was released.

Honored Contributor

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I just had one a couple of years sgo.  I didn't even know there was a second one.  I guess I'll be calling my doctor's office.

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

Sooner, My arm swelled up twice its usual size, fever, rash at injection site.  I looked on the internet, and when there's a bad reaction to the first shot (not typical but it does happen), people should not have a second.  There is sometimes a problem with allergic reactions to the second shot even in people who had no problem with the first shot.

I think this was last year, so if it should come up again I will ask my PCP and express my concerns.  There is no other shot I have ever had a bad reaction to, but I do have a lot of allergies.

I am allergic to quite a few things and so is mom.  I had no trouble wih the shingles shot, but the tetnus whooping cough thing was sort of scary.  I had a hard huge lump at the site of the injection and it was hot to the touch.  Did I go back to the Dr.?  No.  DUH.  But it was quite a while before I found it and it started getting better (was on the top and back of my arm) so I figured if I were gonna die I'd have died . . . He said at my advanced age (ha?) I could live without another one--and this was my first.  My who grew up amidst horses and cows and rusty nails and tin. . . 

Honored Contributor

I came down with Pulmonary Sarcoidosis about 20 years ago.  I stabilized and it all eventually remissed, but I started getting pneumonia shots then, when I was around 45. At that time they told me the shots lasted "forever".... but they were mainly giving them to the elderly so i asked about someone my age getting them.  They recommended every 5 years.  So I did, like clockwork, every five years.  

I just got my most recent shot a month ago.  No reaction other than a sore arm.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*