Esteemed Contributor

How many pneumonia shots did you get?

[ Edited ]

Speaking of the flu topic it reminded me. Can I ask? How many pneumonia shots did you get if any? How long was it to last and does it cover all strains? Lots of strains?

I got a pneumonia shot just last year and I know the Dr said it lasts like 10 years or something.

Now they're trying to tell me I need a better one that covers "all" pneumonia strains. (So why did I get the other one to begin with?) BUT they said insurance may or may not cover it, and it costs 290 dollars!

So I told them I will check with my insurance and if its covered I will make an appt just for the shot. But sorry I wasn't about to get it and then get a bill for that much if insurance doesn't pay it!

(PS I do not get the flu shot b/c I used to be very allergic to eggs and it scares me. I outgrew it but I still limit my eggs to this day! Well this year they're bugging me saying I should try the flu shot). And they said if I do or dont get the flu shot that I should at least get the better pneumonia shot.

Anyway I was just wondering how many if any pneumonia shots people had. I think these Dr.s sometimes push unnecessary things on us adults. But of course I dont want to be sorry later, if they are right!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Re: How many pneumonia shots did you get?

[ Edited ]

I've never had a pneumonia shot but thinking about it.  There are more than 90 strains (serotypes) of pneumococcal bacteria.  

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pneumo/vac-faqs.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pneumo/default.htm

Trusted Contributor

Check with your pharmacy.  There are many pharmacies that give shots for free or a reduced cost and they can check your insurance to see what co-pay will be.    tedEbear

Honored Contributor

The first pneumonia shot did not cover all strains.  They've now developed a newer one that covers most of what the first one didn't.  It's called Prevnar 13.  I saw my doctor today and she highly recommends it.  They didn't have the vaccine but she wrote me a script and I'll get it at Walgreens.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've heard you need two of them ... to cover multiple strains .... I can't remember if they are to be administered two weeks ... or two months ... apart.   (sorry)

Honored Contributor

Trusted Contributor

none NEVER. I  PERSONALLY do not believe in the Vaccine Protocol that traditional medicine pushes on the public especially the elderly.  Each person needs to make that decision for themselves and not be chastised for the decision that they make.

Esteemed Contributor

You have toget 2 but they are different.  Previnar is the other as another poster pointed out.  If you get 2 make sure what your first one was so that you get the other.  Most likely, the first was not Previnar. 

Esteemed Contributor

I originally had a pneumonia shot a couple of years ago.  My primary care doctor recommended the second shot two weeks ago at my annual visit because it covers additional strains. I went ahead with it because I like knowing that I have the extra protection. Between Medicare and my supplemental insurance, I think the cost will be mostly covered. I've found that the staff at that office is very good at writing these things up so that insurance reimburses as they should. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Though I usually have no difficulties with immunizations, the pneumonia shot triggered a bad reaction--just the one that was being used til recently. 

So I won't be getting a second one, of any sort.