Esteemed Contributor

Re: How long is the cold snowy weather going to last?

Sunday, Feb. 2nd is groundhog's day. If it's cloudy when the groundhog emerges, spring will come early. I hope it's a dark, overcast day! 50s today in Kansas City area but we'll be back to single digits on Monday morning. What? My St. Louis friends and family have had much more snow -- feel badly for them!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

On 1/26/2014 kachina624 said: Just think...in six months, everyone will be moaning and groaning about the heat!

You will never hear me moaning and groaning about the heat. We have a pool to keep us cool. I despise this weather.

Honored Contributor

....as long as winter lasts.

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2014 RedTop said:

I'm in southern WV, and this round of polar vortex cold is to hang around until Saturday, Feb. 1st.

They're saying the weekend for us in the tri-state NY AREA also. Can't wait- this has really been a terrible winter, and we still have such a lot of winter left!
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all your replys. I have emphysema and COPD. It is too cold for me to go out. It effects my illness. I am trapped in this house. I have to go to the grocery store sometime this week and there seems to be no let up in the cold weather. Tomorrow it is predicted to be 1* the entire day. Right now it is 10 above.

Occasional Contributor

On 1/27/2014 Bobbisue said:

Thanks for all your replys. I have emphysema and COPD. It is too cold for me to go out. It effects my illness. I am trapped in this house. I have to go to the grocery store sometime this week and there seems to be no let up in the cold weather. Tomorrow it is predicted to be 1* the entire day. Right now it is 10 above.

No, you're not trapped. You have a roof over your head, a car in your driveway, food in your pantry, and a phone at your disposal to call for true help if needed. I do pray for your STRENGTH and self-reliance.

Super Contributor

On 1/27/2014 DianeLockhart said:
On 1/27/2014 Bobbisue said:

No, you're not trapped. You have a roof over your head, a car in your driveway, food in your pantry, and a phone at your disposal to call for true help if needed. I do pray for your STRENGTH and self-reliance.

ITA!! Its winter!! Its going to happen every single year. Millions of people's lives are so, so much worse...in a multitude of ways. I will never understand the glass is always half empty way of looking at life. Wishing one's life away. What happens when there is high heat and humidity in the summer months...more complaining. My grandmother has advanced COPD. She is strong, independent and embraces life. With all the challenges she faces, she chooses to be positive and grateful. And a challenge she sees as something to work around. She would never see herself as being "trapped", a victim.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know where you live, but according to most reports - including the one below, which I snatched from another thread.... it's not looking good for most regions of the US through the next two weeks, at least. I hope you are able to get out soon, stock up and otherwise PREPARE. Do you have portable oxygen? A home generator? Lowes and Home Depot are two chains that deliver generators - you can order those and set up delivery online. Could be some of your local grocers and drug stores deliver, too. Best of luck to you!

On 1/27/2014 WaJa61 said:

photo image_zps7989ef0e.jpg

If you don't like the weather you have right now... you'll probably not like the next two weeks. U.S. temperatures will trend the coldest in 7 years, 2nd coldest in 25+ and direst in 5 years over the next 14 days. There is HOPE on the horizon for some rainfall for the northern half of California the next 7 days (0.50" to 1.0") which would be the wettest last week of January in California in 6 years.

From WeatherTrends 360

Super Contributor

I think we're out of it this week. We were about 40 today, next two days back to teens, then Thursday warming up, by Saturday back to 40, and they said nice for at least all of next week. I hope so!! We're missing that big storm that was supposed to hit us Sunday. Thank Goodness!!

Honored Contributor

Bobbiesue, we Southerners are not use to snow, and we are going to get hit tomorrow and Wednesday by historic storm, called the 1200 mile storm, and I live right in the middle of it!

Photo: Something you will rarely see in your life. A 1200 mile wide Winter Storm Warning from Texas to North Carolina. Significant. Historic.