Honored Contributor

A year of two ago I dislocated my arm playing tennis.

BCBS called to ask me a litany of questions including:

WAS THIS AN ACCIDENT?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How long does it take

[ Edited ]

When I wanted to change insurance agents, I googled insurance companies in my area. Then I went to Yelp to read reviews. I like having an agent because he/she can check out many insurance companies and get me the best rates. When I email my insurance agent - of several years --- he responds in a NY Minute. I don't have to speak to people who don't know my situation.I also referred him to a neighbor and she also likes him.

Respected Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

I predict it will only get worse.  Take a good look at the younger people today, most of whom don't really want to work but feel entitled.  They might have graduated from HS but can't read and comprehend well, can't spell well, and some can't do simple math.   Many of them are on drugs.

I feel lucky if I can get someone on the phone who speaks English and understands what I am asking.

You cannot be serious.

I recently saw a chart indicating that opioid addiction is increasing for those over 60. 

There is ample evidence on this board of a lack of spelling and grammar skills and the demographic here is certainly not "young".

If the young feel "entitled" It is the fault of the parents who are probably close to the ages of the demographic here.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Big Sister wrote:

I predict it will only get worse.  Take a good look at the younger people today, most of whom don't really want to work but feel entitled.  They might have graduated from HS but can't read and comprehend well, can't spell well, and some can't do simple math.   Many of them are on drugs.

I feel lucky if I can get someone on the phone who speaks English and understands what I am asking.

You cannot be serious.

I recently saw a chart indicating that opioid addiction is increasing for those over 60. 

There is ample evidence on this board of a lack of spelling and grammar skills and the demographic here is certainly not "young".

If the young feel "entitled" It is the fault of the parents who are probably close to the ages of the demographic here.

YES to all of the above!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@excpa wrote:

to find an intelligent person to deal with?

I spent 3 days on the phone trying to find someone to change my insurance coverage.   While I was waiting for a call-back (within 10 minutes was actually  closer to an hour) I had plenty of time to research other insurance companies.   By then, it had become a challenge.  I made several more calls to my current company and, finally, got connected to the one intelligent person in the company.    She spoke clearly and at a reasonable rate.  She understood what I was trying to do.  And, best of all, she took care of it and confirmed that it had been done.   Every company has one of these,  but rarely  more than one.  All the others seem to read from a script and do not respond well when asked to deviate from that script.  (Script:  How many children are living in the home?  Answer: None    Script:  What are their ages? )         

I'm glad I'm old so I won't have to deal with this much longer.

Howv old is so old you won't have to deal with this much longer? Hmmm, are you planning on going somewhere or leaving any time soon?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

Many people don't know this, but you can ask for someone in the US to handle you call.  I did this just the other day.

Call center emloyees may speak English but the accent is too strong to really understand them.

Yes, I do that all the time. It's the law. 

Respected Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

That doesn't sound like any of the young people that I know.

Honored Contributor

It's not only phone service.

I have neighbors across the street that was having problems with their air conditioner and the service company showed up 6 times in less than 2 weeks.

The last time they showed up they also sent a supervisor with the service tech.  Seems as though it may be fixed as no one has been back in a week now.

Frequent Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

A year of two ago I dislocated my arm playing tennis.

BCBS called to ask me a litany of questions including:

WAS THIS AN ACCIDENT?

Not such a dumb question.  Sometimes joints can be dislocated without an accident. My son has "loose ligaments" and has dislocated his shoulder and other joints without being involved in an accident.  It just happens. 

But, I see your point, most dislocations are caused by force in an accident.  The question was asked to determine subrogation rights.  So, the better question might be to ask the type of accident and where it occurred.  If a car accident, at a place of business or someone's house, then there might be subrogation rights.  The questions are asked to determine what other insurance might be available and whether you have a potential claim against someone for your injuries.  

Super Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  Pushing 80, hard.