Esteemed Contributor

Re: How long do you wait for a doctor

If I had a scheduled appointment for a normal checkup, I'd be willing to wait 30 minutes, but no more than that. If I was sick and got a last minute appointment, then I'd wait. Two years ago, my cardiologist kept me waiting for 1 hour (in the exam room) for my scheduled annual appointment. I was so angry when the practioner came in after 45 minutes and told me he was running late because of a training session with interns. I waited for him to show up and said what I needed to say....I left and rescheduled the appointment, only because he sincerely apologized. Since then, I will not wait more than what I consider reasonable.

Honored Contributor

Some of my longer wait times have been about 1 hour.  I didn’t like it, but rationalized that once I’d waited that long....did I want to throw it away and come back another day and also have to spend more time waiting?

Trusted Contributor

I’ve never waited more than five minutes because his office staff doesn’t overbook. 

Respected Contributor

I had a great Doctor when we lived in Georgia. He did have emergencies and would be pretty late. Sometimes on time and others around 20 to 30 minutes late. I waited.
Respected Contributor

I will wat for my doctor as long as it takes.  I personally know that things come up to delay them.  I once had a medical emergency at work, called my doctor's office and they told me to come immediately.  I did and she saw me when I got there.  Of course, that put her behind and others had to wait.

When I have to wait I know it is unavoidable and am glad to have a physician who does not hurry patients out the door; takes the time necessary to address concerns.

I take a book with me and spend my time reading.  Don't feel like I am wasting my time if I have to wait - it is just how the doctor's day is going and I am content to read my book until it is my turn.

Respected Contributor

The day I see the Doctor I make sure I have nothing else scheduled. When your dealing with sick people things happen. I never mind waiting.

Honored Contributor

My mother would wait maybe a half hour at the most and then tell the front desk to reschedule, she was leaving.

It happened one too many times with this doctor and she actually used the rescheduled appointment to fire him.

Super Contributor

Once I went to the doctor’s office and an elderly couple signed in right before me.  His appointment was at 10 and hers at 10:45.  Mine was at 10:15. To make it more “convenientl for them they bumped my appointment “on the fly” so they could be seen one after the other.  They were both retired. I was trying to use my lunch break for most of my appointment. Any overage I’d have to take paid leave or make up.  Neither was sick or in an emergency situation either. They simply got to the sign in sheet before me and apparently appointments go out the window.  And both overran their appointments talking about grandkids sore toe,etc. I was so mad. I stayed but made my feelings known lol. 

I wonder how doctors and doctor office staff would like it if they had their time so disrespected?  They seem to not care when they do it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

At my PCP's I have never waited longer than 10 minutes.  Eye dr is a different story - I sometimes wait an hour to be seen by the first tech who examines me.  I think if longer than an hour though I'd ask and/or tell them I'm leaving/reschedule.   Sometimes I'm there for 3 hours total. And I go twice a month.  It's been worth it though.  And knowing it may take that long helps.  I make sure to take a book and/or crossword. 

My husband's dr sends texts when delayed which is handy and considerate.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I usually don't wait long, maybe about 10 to 15 minutes on average. BUT it's getting my appointment that takes SO long. Last appointment took 4 months to see my doc!! I think at that pace they had better be on time when I get there.Woman Frustrated

I just made an appointment with a specilist - their first available is April 8th.  Two doctors from this specialty have just closed their practices due to government regulaations.  Good doctors with excellent reputations.  IMHO it's getting scary.