Honored Contributor

How long do you wait for a doctor

I had a 1 pm appointment with a doctor, got there a bit early and at 1:10 I was told she was running 45 mintues late so I left.

How long are you willing to wait?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Re: How long do you wait for a doctor

For me, it really depends.  How sick am I?  Did they fit me in at the last minute?  Do I have someplace else I need to get to?  I'd wait 45 minutes though.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

If it’s going to be 45+ minutes estimated wait, I reschedule. I have a schedule too and I can’t dedicate an afternoon to one appointment. 

Respected Contributor

About 10 to 15 minutes.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think it depends on how badly you want to see the doctor. If it’s a regular check up, maybe you can leave after 15 minutes.   If you’re having a problem and really need to be seen, maybe you are willing to wait until you can be seen.  

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I go to a doctor ( my elderly mom goes too), that I kid you not can be as much as an hour late. They take you to the exam room where you can wait 20 or 30 minutes for him to see you. I once spent 3 hours at the doctor's office! That being said I like the doctor very much, he takes his time with you. People complain in the waiting room about the long wait, but no one leaves. When you see this doctor, don't make plans for the rest of the day, you never know when you'll get out. The answer I guess is, as long as it takes.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I had a 1 pm appointment with a doctor, got there a bit early and at 1:10 I was told she was running 45 mintues late so I left.

How long are you willing to wait?

As long as it takes. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make an appt for a reason. Not waiting 45 mins don't care how sick I am. I don't go to the doctor when/if I get sick anyways it will pass. I have to be pretty much dying before I will go like I was when I had Shingles.

My appt is always on a Tues at 1. They close for lunch from 12-1 so I'm the 1st appt after lunch. I always get right in. Wait time is usually 5-10 mins. I'm not waiting much longer then that.

If I'm that sick & the doctor is too busy I can always go to the Minor Emergency Clinic.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

How long I am willing to wait depends on how badly I am feeling.

I've waited over an hour before, with nobody ever bothering to tell me the dr was running 45 minutes behind. At least they let you know.

Honored Contributor

Most doctors have a sign to let the receptionist know if you've been there over 30 minutes.  That's reasonable.  I expect my doctor to take the time I need and address my problems, and I think others are entitled to good care too. 

Sometimes when we see the doctor, they've had hospital rounds as well.

Of course I wait longer to be "worked in" which means the last appointment before lunch or in place of a last minute cancellation.