Trusted Contributor

Re: How long do you wait for a doctor

@lovesrecess wrote:
What I don’t like is being taken back to an exam room and then sitting in there for another half hour or so....

@lovesrecess  I SO agree. I’d rather be out in the waiting room than to be sitting there all nervous waiting a long time for someone to come in. 

Esteemed Contributor

@GraceLady

Your reference to an "assembly line" brought a particular Dr to mind.

This guy would make a 'sour' face if I had a little list to help me remember things I wanted to discuss.

Then he'd cut off the conversation, making it clear he'd only entertain one patient complaint per visit. He actually told me to make another appointment if I wanted to discuss something else.

One busy day he stood with door wide open, one foot in the room and the other foot still in the hallway, talking to me from five feet away about my so-called confidential health issues.

I feel very fortunate to have the team of doctors I presently have. They're worth waiting for. 

Honored Contributor

one of my appoints recently i waited 1.5 hours for doctor, was having problems so had no choice but to wait. 

normally it is 30 min's wait time

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  I was just informed that a doctor can bill once they take you to an exam room. you can sit and wait there for any length of time but they will bill. The person that told me this did not know where the info came from so I am not certain of the legitimacy of the story. I no longer wait for MD appt past 15 minutes. It devalues me as a customer by making me wait longer than that.

Honored Contributor

For routine stuff, I make the appointment for the first of the day so I won’t have a long wait.  

For doctors like my gynocologist, dermatologist and endocrinologist, I schedule months in advance. With the dermatologist, a year or more in advance. 

I saw my thyroid doctor last Friday. I go back again in six months and made the appointment at check out on Friday. He starts seeing patients at 7:00 AM and that’s the appointment I ask for, whatever day that turns out to be.  

I don’t like to wait so I try to schedule routine stuff so I don’t have to. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I have a lot of patience so I wait. The longest was 3 hours because my urologist was going on maternity leave and her staff over-booked her. 

I have often read here about posters who walk out if they have to wait. For myself after a 45 minute trip, I wouldn't want to have to come back in a week. The same thing, anyway, could happen the next time.

Respected Contributor

I hate going to the doctor because of the hassle. The majority of my appts. are at the request of my doctor, not initiated by me. I always make sure I get there before my appt. time and get checked in with time to spare. I always sit there about 15 minutes after my scheduled appt. time before getting called in. Then I sit in the exam room for at least 20 minutes before the doctor comes in. No apology or explanation as to why the doctor is behind. Happens every time. I tolerate it and don't say anything, but no way would I wait an hour or more. They would be getting a whole lot of lip from me. Cat Mad

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

For my gynecologist and dermatoligist, I'm called almost immediately into the exam room.  I don't think I wait more than a few minutes.

With my primary, I don't think I've waited more than 15-20 minutes total.  He always apologizes.  

I wouldn't have the patience to wait for longer than half an hour.  I would find a new doctor

Esteemed Contributor

I never have to wait for my dr. The notice on their entrance let's you know if you are 10 minutes late for your appointment, you will have to reschedule. I think that is fair to all patients.

When I lived in CA, I would have to wait anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes. I would always make my appointment in advance. One time they forgot me and I asked what happened. I finally got to see the Dr but I was sick and did not want to leave.

Respected Contributor

I'll add another tid bit about my internist with the LONG wait times....they now have posted a sign on the area where you sign in at the desk with his name telling any patients that DUE TO THE LONG WAIT TIMES....ask receptionist for urine sample cup if you need to use the restroom!  That's a new one....I always use the bathroom several times while there I mean 4hrs and I try to drink some water well I have to go and can't possibly wait!

Truly I wish I found a new doctor just like this one minus his awful habits of being late to start the day's patients plus talking abit too long once he finally gets in the room.

Another poster mentioned getting the 1st appt of the day at 7am....great idea but that would never work with my doctor....he wouldn't show up until 10am....I have gotten mine at his early days 8:30am and he won't start until 10am so what is the point?  Thursday is his late day 9:30am 1st appt.  so I figure I'll start closer to 10am waiting for him!  

Madness...if I didn't have to have the correct thyroid medication/dosage I wouldn't be able to tolerate it.