Super Contributor

How do you respond to Workplace Rudeness

What is the best response to someone who show's a total lack of disregard 

to a Co Worker   I have seen people leave this place of employement 

I have seen people stick it out for as long as they can and watch it ware 

them down.   

I myself........ have pondered my future because of the roller coaster ride.

I love my job,  I love the team.    I am as positive going in, but it is  tough

to witness a rude behavior towards employees that dedicate so much 

to this place of employment.    We never know what kind of mood she is 

going to be in.    It's like walking on eggshells.    

Any words of wisdom ?   Any stories to tell ?   

Valued Contributor

Re: How do you respond to Workplace Rudeness

@stargazergal wrote:

them down.   

@stargazergal   Are you able to share anymore info, how is she rude to you and other employees?  We're all adults why not speak to her about the situation?  Don't you have a Human Resources department?  Although my experience with HR is that they are a useless bunch in most situations.

Respected Contributor

Stand Tough and don't let anyone chase you away. Only leave if you have to. I have been there and I stuck it out and usually the trouble maker gets fired, or they leave because they are just an unhappy indiviual.

Esteemed Contributor

I need more information before I can offer a solution.

Just exactly how is this person rude?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Is this person one of your coworkers or in a management position?

If the person's not in a management position, how'd he/she get so much power?  It would seem this person would have been given the power by coworkers because they are afraid to stand up to this person.  They are afraid to do anything that will upset this person.  Well, too bad!

Sounds like a controlling personality.  

Need more information about this person and the situation in your work environment before I could offer suggestions. 

Honored Contributor

I ignored them, and they quit trying to get me "riled up"........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stargazergal wrote:

them down.   

I live this story every day but it involves more than rudeness and more than one person. My work environment is simply horrible and after almost 9 years of working there I got the nerve to call HR and report my boss's behavior but my suspicians were true and the groundwork was already being laid that I am the problem. In hindsight am I sorry I called HR, no, what I told them needed to be said but again I am beyond disappointed that my well being was never even discussed. I must mentally prepare myself every day to go there and try to keep my head up but it is very difficult. I have to believe that goodness will prevail but it is hard being patient and it does takes it's toll on a person as you said to "be walking on egg shells." Sounds like this person you mention is not qualified for the job or has not or never will be found out. Today's workplace is very difficult and I can retire soon and cannot phathom job hunting and starting over so I grin and bear it. I keep a copy of the Serenity Prayer in my drawer . I read a lot and most of what is see says it is time to move on but again, that is not in the cards for me unless a crisis happens. Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

Don't know what is going on so hard to be really specific but I can say that I have been in a work setting where a worker that was near me made if very difficult for me to work every day.  Everyone thought this person walked on water and had everyone buffaloed, so there was no one to speak to about this person's behavior.  I just had to tough it out.  Eventually --- and this was after a very long, hard period, this person finally left.  After that, my work life felt like heaven!  If there is someone you can speak to about it, then by all means do so.  If not, and you feel you can take it, then I would say, just try as hard as you can to distance yourself from it and focus on you and your job and your abilities and do the job the best you can and be your usual competent and wonderful self!  I would never let anyone chase me out of a job that I wanted or needed.  If, however, you try to get this resolved and cannot, and it is affecting your health, then I guess you might need to consider looking elsewhere for employment.  No job is worth destroying your mental and/or physical health.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Can you make a sideways move and find a job doing the same thing, elsewhere?

Honored Contributor

Have you documented what happens with times and dates?  That's the first thing I'd do.

One thing I did when my boss called me an old idiot was to ask her to not use those kinds of words.  I was super professional and used a soft tone of voice, not weak voice but soft since my voice tends to carry.  She stopped that day but went right back to it the next day.

I worked at a big corporation for nearly 40 years.  The last year was the worst of my life.  New management became the abusers and bullies.  

I was also a manager and took a lot of the same ****** because I refused to to do the same to my teams.

It was nothing for the other managers to yell, call names, ridicule, punish for perceived wrongs, and generally mistreat people....all in public as well as private.  People cried and were stressed out every day.  It became a horrible place to work.

Then I started getting age comments - I was the oldest manager.  My own boss was the worst.  She lied about me on my last performance review (I refused to sign it) and cut me out of the annual bonus.  I filed an age discrimination/harassment claim with HR but they were more interested in protecting the company than me.  

I retired the day I turned 62 because my pension was 100%.  I worked parttime in customer service at a grocery store until recently and loved it.  So freeing!

My attorney looked at my documentation - a very large box of it - and said I had a good lawsuit.  But, did I really want to spend 2+ years in litigation?  I chose to move on.  But I have saved the documents.