Valued Contributor

Yorkie, I don't think you have to worry about there being a shortage of "little old ladies."  No matter how "young" we may think of ourselves, and no matter how we dress, whether we wear makeup or not, you can be sure those that really are young are seeing us as "old."  Remember when you were a kid and everyone was "old?"  Just be yourself.  Dress and groom to please yourself, and don't worry what labels anyone else might put on you.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Honored Contributor
Yorkie,

The physical characteristics of LoLs might change - no more dresses or 50s 'pocketbooks', and the look if "old lady shoes" has changed (LOL if only those who complain about QVC's shoes could see 50's & 60s old lady shoes) - but the love and giving in "granny hearts", and being someone you can count on and go to - that won't change no matter what LoLs look like now and in the future.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I love old people.  The "old people" in my life brought me so much happiness and love.  Some were simple, some were more flashy, some were in between....but all were special to me in their own way.  While I admit, I wouldn't wear a headscarf...or stockings with seams down the back,  the image of my grandmothers and mother doing so.... brings smiles to my face....because whatever they did...they owned it!!  It was them and I loved them for who they were and every little thing about them spells "love" to me.         

Honored Contributor

Two things come to mind with growing older. 

Loss of posture (so keeping a good strong core is important) and also lacking agility (mentally and physically).

You can color your hair or style it nicely if you let it go gray/white.  You can wear makeup and pretty, fashionable clothes.

But when your posture goes and that gracefulness and ease of moving about starts to wane, that's when you look like a little old lady.

l've seen it with my own mother in her 80's.  She never walked or excercised for her health.  She ate good food, but also ate bad food. 

And it shows around her middle, her shoulders are slightly hunched and she walks wobbly and knock-kneed.  

She did have both knees replaced and I realize that even athletes and thin/fit people have to have joints replaced, but she still has issues after the surgery.

She has never lifted weights, never pushed a lawn mower, picked up a shovel, worked up a sweat walking.

She'll be around a long time, I'm sure of it, but she may not be able to get around too well.

My sisters and I are learning from her example.  

Contributor

I think we shift into that role not only because of health but someties by income. I am 81, a widow, and a cancer survivor. Although I am raring to go I am flat broke - cancer costs a great deal and I had a preexisting  condition so no health ins.  But I am alive - a survivor!!!

So I lead a very quiet life. A old lady life.

As for dress - I wear jeans (in sumer jean capris) and a tee - A typical classic American style. .My hair is long - budget prohibits visits to hairdressers - it has a small amt. of white but it still my natural color mostly -  my family does not seem to go grey/white.  i wear flats or Clarks sandals, and have some very nice handbags and beautiful sweaters from my affluent days.  I wear a Tiffanys 18K gold 1/4to1/3 inch wide  bangle and a Tiffany or Cartier watch.  In the winter I wear a down.coat or one of my handknitted sweaters from Norway or So. America  My only all 4 season dress comes from J. Crew  - is a LBD and I wear it with a denim jacket,  I change the look with a scarf sometimes. This is my choice of clothing since college in the 50's.  I was never "chic" but my style of dress is labelled preppy or Ivy League.  It can be boring/fuddy duddy  to the fashionistas but to the rich and powerful  (I am not one of those but I went to college with them) it is considered classy.by some ( Big deaL - IT IS WHAT IT IS.)  My clothes come from the preppy stores: Brooks Brothers, J. Press, Ralph Lauren, Talbots, J. Crew (Mrs, Obama wears a lot of J Crew for every day wear - she dresses Ivy, and seems to be  considered a good dresser ). 

Please do not make this political so that this topic  goes poof. I only mention a political person becsue she is an example everyone will know.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you know when...

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Ha Ha, let me tell you girl, I will be 65 in less than a month, I will never say I'm in "little old lady mode"  It's a frame of mind. I'm currently recovering from a total knee replacement done in May, still in physical therapy but as soon as I have recovered I will be back to my full time job, back on my Treadmill, keeping my weight down and find me a new man !   I kicked my previous guy to the curb after Valentine's day, he just wasn't right for me.  I'm a grandma with a new grandbaby on the way but I'm still young at heart and mind. Keep it going girl ! 

Yes!

I don't even think about "little old lady mode".  I spoke to my 84 y.o. Mom today, and she doesn't think about it either. 

I feel so blessed to have reached the age I am now, especially because I've lost several friends over the years - some quite young.  They've missed out on so much, and I'm still here, enjoying my children, looking forward to my son's wedding, hoping for grandchildren, having fun lunches with friends, attending concerts, swimming every day, etc.  Life has so much to offer - at every age!

I'm still me.  No matter my age, no matter how many aches & pains I might have.  I don't think of myself as young or as old, and I've never felt the need to "shift gears".  I'm just me, the only real difference being that I'm wiser and more appreciative of the good things as time goes on.  :-)

Super Contributor

I read someplace that old is always 15 years older than your actual age!  Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@StylishLady wrote:

"Little old lady" is a stereotype fed to us by movies and TV. I refuse to conform to that. 

LOL, as are the golden years.    You're as old as you feel, and some days I'm a lot older than others.

I was once told I was pretty cool for an old lady, by a young man the same age as my son. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Ha Ha, let me tell you girl, I will be 65 in less than a month, I will never say I'm in "little old lady mode"  It's a frame of mind. I'm currently recovering from a total knee replacement done in May, still in physical therapy but as soon as I have recovered I will be back to my full time job, back on my Treadmill, keeping my weight down and find me a new man !   I kicked my previous guy to the curb after Valentine's day, he just wasn't right for me.  I'm a grandma with a new grandbaby on the way but I'm still young at heart and mind. Keep it going girl ! 

Yes!

I don't even think about "little old lady mode".  I spoke to my 84 y.o. Mom today, and she doesn't think about it either. 

I feel so blessed to have reached the age I am now, especially because I've lost several friends over the years - some quite young.  They've missed out on so much, and I'm still here, enjoying my children, looking forward to my son's wedding, hoping for grandchildren, having fun lunches with friends, attending concerts, swimming every day, etc.  Life has so much to offer - at every age!

I'm still me.  No matter my age, no matter how many aches & pains I might have.  I don't think of myself as young or as old, and I've never felt the need to "shift gears".  I'm just me, the only real difference being that I'm wiser and more appreciative of the good things as time goes on.  :-)

Whoo Hoo ! You go girl !!! I'm giving you a standing ovation right now !!!   Woman Very Happy

Congrats on the new baby coming ! Oh Joy, Oh Joy ! Your fun begins !!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@SHIRAZ wrote:

Yorkie, I don't think you have to worry about there being a shortage of "little old ladies."  No matter how "young" we may think of ourselves, and no matter how we dress, whether we wear makeup or not, you can be sure those that really are young are seeing us as "old."  Remember when you were a kid and everyone was "old?"  Just be yourself.  Dress and groom to please yourself, and don't worry what labels anyone else might put on you.

Take someone like Jane Fonda...she's in her 70s, she's at least 75 but she has kept herself up and looks fab.

In one way, that's really cool, but she's not what I think of as a LoL. I wonder how her family sees it.