Esteemed Contributor

Do you take any special precautions these days? When I go out to the mailbox I wear rubber gloves that I wipe off with a bleach solution.  I leave the mail in the garage a few days before I bring it in. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Super Contributor

Re: How do you handle mail now?

I do not worry about the mail or packages- just wash your hands- we can't be afraid of every single thing, we need exposure to some germs- wipe down surfaces and wash your hands, and don't go places unless needed- we will be fine in time- as a retired RN I am cautious but not afraid

Honored Contributor

Thankfully I am getting very little mail, I only go out to the mailbox every 3 days. Junk mail immediately goes into the trash in the garage and the rest is left in the garage for 3 days. I don't have to worry about packages as I am not ordering anything.

Honored Contributor

No differently. I wash my hands after handling anything which comes from outside my house.

Esteemed Contributor

Take it out of the mailbox. Toss the junk mail in the trash, put aside catalogs for perusing later, open the bills and file them in the "bills due folder". In other words, business as usual. 

Honored Contributor

It's kind of funny because, since well before this all began, I was on a mission to stop washing my hands SO MUCH and part of that was that when I got the mail or a package I started putting on my dishwashing gloves.

I put the gloves on, get the mail/parcel (mailbox right on the front wall of my house by front door), bring it in and put it somewhere for a while, and only then take off the gloves.   

I do that for a few things just so I could keep my hands clean for longer.  Already being a hand-washer, I figured I was wasting and that was the impetus for trying to cut back.  Smiley Happy

Of course, I still wash my hands a fair amount and also, when I've come back from the store (handling mdse) or the bank (handling money) I always wash the hands really well.   I've known about the 20-30 second thing for decades, so that's nothing new.

Honored Contributor

We always handle mail like it’s flu season; carry it in, sort it to each person, then wash our hands.   

Honored Contributor

No different than usual.

Honored Contributor

Bring it in, open it, put the bills with the check book, throw the rest of it in the recycling bin and wash my hands.

The same for packages, open it, put the stuff away, throw the packaging out and wash my hands.

Honored Contributor

We wash our hands after handling & opening mail. That’s it. In the past we wouldn’t have done that.