Honored Contributor

Re: How do you define courage?

[ Edited ]

Thank you.  You know who you are. Image result for peanuts characters

And you, and you.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Courage to me is also how you face hard times and I've had my share. Is believing in yourself and in something bigger and telling yourself you will survive, you will make it through this without losing yourself and your dignity. Knowing that you may feel weak and vulnerable at this time but deep down you know you are a fighter and you will soon see the light at the end of the tunnel.

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

I am a retired nurse and have seen many examples of courage.  Those facing terminal illness helping newly diagnosed people are incredible.  But, I do volunteer work for 2 organizations, one Ronald McDonald House and the other Wounded Warriors.  Children facing terminal illness are an inspiration to me...they seem to mature so fast and often console their parents or even seasoned health care workers like myself; they have an understanding beyond their young years and a serene quality as they face horrible illnesses; they are brave little angels.  When they lose a fellow patient or someone misses treatments, they know what has happened and you sense their sadness for brief period of time  but they rally and press on...incredible courage.   Young men and women who have a love of their Country, give up everything to defend us and our way of life; that takes tremendous courage today because they know they will serve in the ME.  They come home with devastating injuries both physical and psychological and they just are an inspiration to me as they accept how life will be, adjust and be the best that they can be....tremendous courage..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Courage, is to go forward and not turn and run. I am thinking of the brave military guys & gals who choose and have chosen to do this!! My hat's off to them!

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Vickiv wrote:
Courage to me is facing hard times. May it be a lifethreating disease, loss of a love one. The list can go on and on. To be able to fight to survive and win. To adjust to life that has changed so much for you. To say I won't take it anymore . Courage to not live in fear or courage to go beyond your past. Yes how do you define one of the most important words in the dictionary . I do think all of us one time or another had courage to do something life changing. I know I did many times.

Right now I am having to be brave and strong at the same time, as I am undergoing chemo treatments.......and boy, never thought I would be doing this at the age of 75. 

Congrats on your 11 year lung cancer survivor........

Showme, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers, I wish you the best. Hang tough if you can!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Courage, is to go forward and not turn and run. I am thinking of the brave military guys & gals who choose and have chosen to do this!! My hat's off to them!

I agree.  I also admire the courage of the people here who are suffering from illnesses or pain and don't give up. I hope I will be able to face it the way some here have.  They just keep "tickin" and that is a real encouragement to me. I also pray for those people all over the world who are being killed and tortured for their faith and have the courage to die for what they believe.