Honored Contributor

Re: How do you define courage?

[ Edited ]

When I think of courage, I think of people who have so little but who will fight for their dignity and their rights; people who will help them in that endeavor instead of being being either passive or sanctimonious about others in need;  and people who will overcome the burdens of a family or society that espouses hateful ideas and instead choose a more charitable and kind path.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Being scared but doing it anyway.
Trusted Contributor

VioletEyes.
Your son is truly courageous. Blessing to a fine young man.
Trusted Contributor

Not caitlyn Jenner!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Vickiv wrote:
VioletEyes.
Your son is truly courageous. Blessing to a fine young man.

Thanks so much. He is everything I could ever want in a son. I have learned so much from him over the years. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Vickiv wrote:
Courage to me is facing hard times. May it be a lifethreating disease, loss of a love one. The list can go on and on. To be able to fight to survive and win. To adjust to life that has changed so much for you. To say I won't take it anymore . Courage to not live in fear or courage to go beyond your past. Yes how do you define one of the most important words in the dictionary . I do think all of us one time or another had courage to do something life changing. I know I did many times.

You defined it perfectly...I can't find words to add to it. Like you, I myself have survived many tough life changing events. One of them is being a 11 yr lung cancer survivor Smiley Happy

Gosh, I didn't mean to hit the POST......sorry.

I like to describe courage as being brave......and strong.......  It takes a lot of strength to be brave.......

Right now I am having to be brave and strong at the same time, as I am undergoing chemo treatments.......and boy, never thought I would be doing this at the age of 75. 

Congrats on your 11 year lung cancer survivor........

Honored Contributor

Wow, ShowMe. You had lung cancer and lived to tell the tale? I think you are showing courage with your current battle. Your good attitude has been impressive.
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:
Wow, ShowMe. You had lung cancer and lived to tell the tale? I think you are showing courage with your current battle. Your good attitude has been impressive.

No sweetie, I didn't say I had lung cancer.  It was the poster I was responding too.  But the cancer showed up in my upper right lung......during the PET scan and chest x-ray.  It is not big, but it is there.  That is what metastsized melanoma does.......it can show up any  place from  the main area that the melanoma is........

These treatments are not easy to go through......

Thanks for your kind words.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Oops and I read the post twice, ShowMeSmiley Sad. In my defense it is hard to see where a new reply starts sometimes.

My dad, his brother and bio dad all died of lung cancer.
Honored Contributor

Psychology Today defines 6 attributes of courage.  I thought  these were pretty potent.  There are many more. 

1)  Feeling fear, but choosing to act

I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear — Nelson Mandela

2) following your heart

Passion is what drives us crazy, what makes us do extraordinary things, to discover, to  challenge ourselves. Passion is and should always be the heart of courage.”

3) Standing up for what is right!

Sometimes standing against evill is more important than defeating it. The greatest heroes stand because it is right to do so, not because they believe they will walk away with their lives. Such selfless courage is a victory in itself 

4) Facing suffering with dignity or faith

“There is no need to be ashamed of tears, for tears bear witness that a man has the greatest of courage, the courage to suffer.

The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances. — Aristotle

Until the day of his death, no man can be sure of his courage. 

5) The Courage to finish the race

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer. — Ralph Waldo Emerson 

6) 

Expanding Your Horizons; Letting Go of the Familiar

Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. — Lord Chesterfield