Respected Contributor

Re: How do you define courage?

Courage has nothing to do with going through unavoidable trials and tribulations.  Courage is choosing to do what scares you because it's the right thing to do.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

When someone does something despite that they are terrified (like a soldier), that requires courage.when a person is ill or facing an adversity and does so with an attitude of acceptance and co operation and doesn't go into a poor me mode, that also requires courage.

Super Contributor

I think it does take courage to deal wiith everyday trials and tribulations. Being a caregiver to a seriously ill family member, having to care for a kitten left on your doorstep, only to have it take a sudden turn for the worse and having it put to sleep -- and the list goes on for some of us that deal with daily heartbreak.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

To me courage is taking on something you are fearful of.

I think it's different for each individual.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When someone does something despite that they are terrified (like a soldier), that requires courage.when a person is ill or facing an adversity and does so with an attitude of acceptance and co operation and doesn't go into a poor me mode, that also requires courage.

I call that grace.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I think all people  will be called on to be courageous at some point in their lives, it's just part of life. The cowards are the people who affect us the most.

Esteemed Contributor

Acting 

instinctively to do what is necessary to save or help someone, or many someones in mortal danger. 

Facing fear of an unknown without hesitation or thought of their own risks and/or well being.

hckynut(john)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When a person who is handicapped gets up and goes out to face the world and make himself a living,to be a productive member of society, instead of getting on the dole, that takes courage.

Trusted Contributor

Wonderful thoughts and so true words. Thank you everyone.
Respected Contributor

My definition of courage is my son and how he has handled his health over the years. He has nearly lost his life more than once and he never complained and never allowed any of his many health challenges to keep him down. When a career he very much wanted to pursue became impossible for him because of his health, he quickly moved on, studied something else and never looked back. Every time I look at him my eyes shine with pride. He is the epitomy of strength and courage and I am proud to call him my son.