Honored Contributor

Re: How do I decide on which jigsaw puzzles to get?

@gidgetgh wrote:

I have the attention span of a gnat.  At the beginning of the lockdown last year, I ordered a few puzzles.  Started one on our dining room table.  I lasted exactly 3 days.  

In the pieces, All I saw was clutter and I had to keep standing up to work on it and bending over, which my back didn't like. It did not bring me the joy and relaxation I'd hoped it would.  I saw it, unfortunately, as a task that needed to be completed. I just don't have the temperment for them. I wish I did.  

I have a card table, that I can leave up. You're right, it's not a job to be completed, but a way to calmly and patiently (sometimes) LOL, do.  Like background noise, like, t.v. or radio, even if I don't listen or look up.  You do need the right table and chair so your back  isn't bothered.  I couldn't take that either.  Maybe you'll figure something else out, so you can enjoy those. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman   My birthday is the 21st, so happy birthday (early) to you too.

Respected Contributor

If you really get the puzzle bug you might want to check out puzzle boards. Several are sold on Etsy. 

They are usually slanted boards that can be removed with the puzzle in tact if the table is needed. Some have trays for sorting pieces that too can be shifted. We use heavy card board pieces for sorting. There are roll up mats but we have never tried these. 

We have gotten some good puzzles from museum stores too.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal We tend to do jigsaw puzzles that are 300 Large Piece puzzles because they can be done in one sitting which we like.  If we do a puzzle with more pieces, and cannot finish it in one sitting, or want to leave it up for awhile, we slide a large piece of paper (poster board) under it to move it to another location.  I also like the 100 Large Piece puzzles when there is less time available but still want to put together a puzzle in one sitting.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner I have some puzzles from the following brands and I like them all, nice quality.  Most are 300 Large Piece puzzles, and several are Made In USA:  Ceaco, Buffalo Games, SunsOut, EuroGraphics, and Vermont Christmas Company.  Buffalo Games sometimes includes a bonus poster which is nice as it is larger than the picture on the box and makes it easier to see details while putting the puzzle together.  Other puzzle brands I also have and like are Ravensburger, and Bits And Pieces.  Other good puzzle brands were also mentioned in the discussion thread, some Made In USA.

Honored Contributor

Thanks all for the hints!  I put them all in my list and finally gave my husband about 15 choices from Barnes and Noble, and he picked two!  We are going to see how this works out.  

I'll post which ones after a while!  He said "A jigsaw puzzle?"  And I said "Ugly winter days are ahead."  Then he thought it was worth trying!  My fondest hope is that on non-golf days that and a cup of coffee will get his mind off. . . golf!"  Or football, when the going gets tough.  Woman Very HappyWoman Wink

Valued Contributor

I was just coming to post about the Barnes & Noble jigsaw sale. I ordered 6 on Monday and the last of them have just arrived. 

I'm delighted because I started looking on Amazon but two I wanted were out of stock - that was how I found the B&N sale. I got all the ones I wanted and 3 of them for half price.

Super Contributor

I like the 300 piece or the 500 piece ones.  No more 1000 piece ones.  They're too teeny tiny for me.  At B&N in January, they have a good sale on them. Buy one and get a second one half off.  My neighbors would work puzzles in wintertime. They had this huge puzzle almost finished.  Her hubby hid a piece from her.  Put it in his shirt pocket.  She told him off. 

Respected Contributor

@wilma 

Your puzzle with St Francis and the animals is gorgeous.

It looks like it would be a stained glass design.

Trusted Contributor

when the Covid shutdown happened my boyfriend and I   gave jigsaw puzzles a thought as there wasn't much to do after awhile.  I spend over half the week with him. Who knew how great they are. And the time just flies by.

We do 1,000 piece puzzles but here comes the rub.  The ones we buy have letters on the back.  Either A-F or A-H.  Meaning the puzzle is divided into 6 or 8 quadrants.  You don't have to use the cheat letters on back if you don't want but we do.  I buy them on Amazon and there are many.  We find it much more enjoyable.  They really relax the mind and are great stress relievers.

I'm addicted I tell ya and do we still do them to this day. lol.

Here's some we've done.   I mix them up from European cities, to birds and animals.  Anything that looks good.

610JwZ9LSfL._AC_SL1000_ purple hummingbird.jpg

81GkHzq0EKL._AC_SL1238_ kitty library kitty.jpg

Stockholm, Sweden

81yEadX1ACS._AC_SL1200_ stockholm sweden.jpg