Honored Contributor

How do I decide on which jigsaw puzzles to get?

There's more animals in what I've looked at, birds, horses, Tiger's face (cool), so early Americana type of ones.  There's just so many choices.  Or, prices, ratings?    I even saw some rounds one, chose one of those as a possibility.  I just don't know.  Changed from 1000 to 500 pieces.  

I may get one of those boards, that has extentions which would help a lot in doing this.  

Anyway, how do you choose?

Honored Contributor

Re: How do I decide on which jigsaw puzzles to get?

[ Edited ]

I'm with you on the 500pc.   I saw one shaped like a Hershey's kiss. 

I agree, so much to choose from.

I buy puzzles at Target for the toddler, 50pc usually & I always look for one for me.

I just don't think I would make time to work one

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  I enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles and ordered a 500 piece last year.  It also had glitter.  The picture was beautiful, but I wish that I had gone with the 300 piece version and no glitter.  I always thought that I was good at putting the puzzles together, but I found that the 500 piece was just too much for me.  Also, definitely no glitter!  Enjoy whatever puzzle that you select.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Depends upon what attracts you to puzzles in the first place.

Do you like slowly building a recognizable picture? Is it the picture that keeps you interested, right to the end?

Not me. I like building order out of chaos. A blank/no picture, but challenging shapes would suit me better.

Super Contributor

Based on experience gained last year trying to do puzzles when not able to go outside: 1. Buy puzzles that have some words or signs. That gives you a place to start putting pieces together. 2. Bite the bullet and spend more than what you think you should. Cheap puzzles are not cut very well and it is very frustrating when 1 piece will fit in more than 1 place. Some may find that fun or challenging but I did not. 3. See if you can find others in your family, neighborhood or social group who have puzzles and trade with them so that you don't have to always be buying a new one. 4. Have a dedicated space with plenty of light to assemble it. Setting it up on the dining room table the week before T-Day is not so smart. Have fun!
Respected Contributor

For some reason I've always liked seasonal type puzzles. I think it started many years ago when I would buy a beautiful Christmas themed puzzle and then the family visiting over the Thanksgiving holiday would work on it. Such fond memories as now it's just me and my husband left. Woman Sad Anyway, I'm still drawn to seasonal puzzles and my husband just opened this one a few days ago. It was kinda pricey but tooooooo cute! 

Vermont Christmas Company Little Goblins Halloween Jigsaw Puzzle 1000 Piece

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  I've been doing jigsaw puzzles for the past 2 years.  There is nothing better than something that doesn't require electricity, batteries and are relatively inexpensive.  How to choose is a personal choice.  For me, I do not like the shaped puzzles.  I need edges which is where I start sorting first.  I only do 1000 piece puzzles depicting animals, florals, food and I stay away from the monochromatic ones.  I need a lot of contrast colors to speed up the sorting process.  I also do not care for the puzzles you can do on your computer.  I can honestly say puzzles keep your mind sharp, deter you from the TV and are great for passing time.  I average a puzzle about every 7 days with some days to take a break and admire my accomplishment!  Good luck in your puzzle quest!  

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

There's more animals in what I've looked at, birds, horses, Tiger's face (cool), so early Americana type of ones.  There's just so many choices.  Or, prices, ratings?    I even saw some rounds one, chose one of those as a possibility.  I just don't know.  Changed from 1000 to 500 pieces.  

I may get one of those boards, that has extentions which would help a lot in doing this.  

Anyway, how do you choose?

@qualitygal Where would you find this? I need to be able to pack it up in some way and open when I'm working on it.

Honored Contributor

Ordered it from Amazon, look at Bits and pieces -- original standard wooden jigsaw puzzle plateau.  It's just what I need. Before, I had to use the pans I use in the oven to separate like-pieces, (color you could say).  @tiny 2 

Honored Contributor

Can any of you suggest good brands?