Honored Contributor

How do Giraffes Clean Their Teeth?

Stunning photographs demonstrate the bizarre relationship between the animal kingdom's tallest mammal the giraffe and the tiny red-billed oxpeckers in east Africa.

What may initially appear as a giraffe chomping down on small birds in predatory fashion is actually a habit even more out of the ordinary.

It turns out this giraffe is getting a check-up from their dentist oxpeckers, who will remarkably clean the teeth of its spindly-legged friend without using a drill or leaving a hefty bill to pay.

The oxpecker is actually feeding on bits of food stuck between the giraffe's teeth. It is known to sometimes pick through its hair for tasty parasites to nibble on too.

These stunning photographs from Western Kilimanjaro Park in Tanzania demonstrate the curious relationship between the giraffe and red-billed oxpecker

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6055285/Oxpeckers-clean-teeth-giraffe-Tanzania.html 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: How do Giraffes Clean Their Teeth?

You see a lot of those symbiotic relationships underwater, but I've not seen as many above the water.  Smiley Happy 

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.  

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom

Early Dentists!

hahaha

doxie

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom

I liked the picture of the giraffe sticking its tongue out at the bird.

It is about time for me to see the red-billed oxpecker.

doxie

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom  There you go again........coming up with some cool (and amusing) animal stuff!  It does sound a bit gross, though.  Bet that bird has some really bad breath!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Forget that!  Wow!  I'd kill for those eyelashes!  He/She could model for Maybelline Mascara!

So cute!  I needed a smile today!  So many people going through so much, thanks!

Honored Contributor

Speaking of teeth, i heard last week that more people are getting cavities, because of using non fluoride toothpaste, i use natural because of dry lips.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@KingstonsMom  There you go again........coming up with some cool (and amusing) animal stuff!  It does sound a bit gross, though.  Bet that bird has some really bad breath!

@2blonde

I just can't help myself, LOL!

I'm one of those that love animals (any) more than most people!

I've been owned by everything from horses to a monkey and pretty much every farm and domestic animal there is!

I'm totally with you on the bad breath thing, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

YUCK!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom He looks like he has a mouth full of oxpeckers. It’s a good thing it was explained what’s going on. Thanks for posting.