Honored Contributor

Re: How did your parents meet

[ Edited ]

In NY city.  My Mother was selling ties as a sales clerk in Macy's.   My Father was a lieutenant Commander in the Navy and, in his uniform looking handsome came in the store....three weeks later they were married.   

They did divorce after 20 years and three daughters.  

Both remarried.

Interesting ending...

to make a long story short.....50 years later...they  started seeing each other again.... they did not remarry but became friends, and today, they are buried next to one another. 

Respected Contributor

Their parents were friends, so they knew each other since grade school.  But, they didn't start dating until after he returned from a tour of duty in Vietnam.  They married about a year later.

Honored Contributor

My father was a graduate student in Rome.  My mother was a student as well.  They got married shortly after graduation.  My mother was a native of Rome, studying languages.She could speak 5 of them. She became an interpreter.   My father was from Milan, studying Mathematics. He taught Math and Statistics.

Honored Contributor

My parents met in college. They were each dating other people. Then WWII came along. My Dad's cousin was killed in Pearl Harbour and my Dad enlisted the next day. 

He was a pilot in Army Air Corp. And had flown his required # of missions overseas. BUT his Commander asked him to stay on for one more mission and pilot the plane that was to be next to the Commanders. It was a huge mission and only 1/3 of the planes made it back. My Dad's plane and crew had been given to another pilot because Dad was supposed to be going back to the States after flying his required # of missions. Well, Dad's former plane and crew was shot down and all KIA. After Dad died I was going through his wallet and there was a picture of his plane in his wallet.

After that my Dad decided to write a letter to my Mom. I still have the letter.  And they had a whirlwind romance. He was ferrying planes all over the US and stopping by to see her whenever he was near her.

They were married 58 years and died 5 days apart.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow....so many great stories.  My parents met at their small rural high school and were married until my dad passed away a little over 4 years ago.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a young man, my father (as a hobby) played percussion in a "oompah band" and they played at various German venues around Queens.

I'm not sure of the details - but either his band was playing where my mother and friends were - he just happened to be there as a customer. 

They were married in 1941.